Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suitable dwarf apple for apple hungry hubby

Afternoon all,

Firstly, apologies if this is a repeat question...

The dear husband eats an apple or two each day and in our new garden layout has requested putting in an apple tree. I've no experience with fruit trees firstly, so what about dwarf/patio stock? Any recommendations for a couple of such trees that are heavy, reliable croppers?

For a main tree in the garden, one that doesn't need pollinating and is easy for a fruit tree novice like me, is there a suitable variety to grow? Although I have space at the bottom of our garden the border is mainly heavy shade and I imagine an apple tree needs full sun. It may well be that our patio and a dwarf variety is the better option.

Many thanks and look forward to any responses :-)

When considering apple trees, the rootstock determines the size of the tree and the grafted variety determines the type of fruit. There is a good description of the available rootstocks for apples here https://www.rhs.org.uk/fruit/fruit-trees/rootstocks

I have an apple tree on M27 which is the most dwarfing rootstock. The tree is small even though planted in the soil. It produces about 15 apples a year, more in a very good year. If you have space for a bigger tree and want more apples I would suggest getting a dwarfing or semi-dwarfing rootstock, which will give you a bigger tree with more fruit.

My apple is James Grieve, which is a very nice all round apple and readily available, but it really does depend on what sort of apple you like to eat. You can even get "family" trees with 2 or 3 varieties grafted onto the same root, the advantage of these being that they will pollinate each other. Some varieties store better than others (James Grieve does not store well) - in general mid to late season apples store better than early fruiters.
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

We've a triple family tree that I bought off eBay but lots of places sell them.

Falstaff/Fortune/Idared Family apple tree on M26 rootstock. What has happened is that Fortune and Falstaff are more vigorous grafts and Idared is now just a little branch off the trunk. But they are nice apples, they always seem crisper (bar say a Granny Smith - which I don't like anyway, lol) than shop bought ones. The Falstaff keeps longer but again we cook with both varieties. I think Idared is nice too, but when it comes to picking it's hard to tell which one you've got!

Although it's an M26 it does grow taller than we can pick and I keep it pruned in Spring to about 6 foot high. The wasps get lots and it takes a few years to really start cropping but now we do get a good amount even though I admit to knowing little about fruit tress.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/garden-inspir...s-and-planting

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/pdfs/r...pple-trees.pdf
      Last edited by smallblueplanet; 18-02-2024, 07:18 PM.
      To see a world in a grain of sand
      And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I planted a coronet miniature apple tree (family - has two varieties) in the ground about fifteen or so years ago. I recommend it as it’s so productive for a small tree. All the apples ripen quite late,it would be good to have an earlier producing apple tree too. There’s a grape growing next to mine that sprawls all over the swing frame & a raised bed in front of it all for garlic,broccoli,lettuce,tomato,runner beans or onions. My tree’s facing east,it gets a good few hours of sun,it’s not in full sun all day,although the base is quite shady the trees five foot or so & has partial sun
        Click image for larger version

Name:	52F6EDF9-AF5F-41EF-B1A4-1751DDFA3117.png
Views:	1161
Size:	2.24 MB
ID:	2575329
        Last edited by Jungle Jane; 18-02-2024, 06:14 PM. Reason: Adding photo

Comment

Thank you everyone who responded. I think hubby is now realistic in his expectations that he's not going to have 'an apple a day'! Perhaps there are some patio varieties that can just give him the odd apple or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Effy66 View Post
            Thank you everyone who responded. I think hubby is now realistic in his expectations that he's not going to have 'an apple a day'! Perhaps there are some patio varieties that can just give him the odd apple or two.
            Are you not planting into the garden, are you were looking for a containerised tree? Our family tree is quite prolific and if you pick a tree with two (or more) varieties they can crop at slightly different times and also if stored, some store/last longer than others.

Comment

I have a "small, bush trained" Red Windsor apple in the garden, it was either a M26 or M27 rootstock. That variety was recommended to me as undemanding and good for beginners. The apples are tasty just don't store well, but it crops quite well most years.

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post

Are you not planting into the garden, are you were looking for a containerised tree? Our family tree is quite prolific and if you pick a tree with two (or more) varieties they can crop at slightly different times and also if stored, some store/last longer than others.
                Looking for both options really. No idea about fruit trees. Hubby has an orchard back in his home country so I think he was anticipating something similar !! Think again sunshine

Comment

Originally posted by Effy66 View Post

Looking for both options really. No idea about fruit trees. Hubby has an orchard back in his home country so I think he was anticipating something similar !! Think again sunshine
                  Well they're not too expensive to give one a go. You'll often see fruit tree deals in Lidl etc when we get nearer to Spring.

Comment

Two fruit trees for £12 at Tesco today.
                    Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

its an interesting question. the smaller rootstocks don't crop so heavily as its a smaller tree but some folks recommend getting a slighlty more vigourouse rootstock as they fruit better and just pruning it more Malcolm at Eggleston Gardens(although he's retired now) always said this. YOu can always grow them as cordons about 2-3 foot apart up against your fence so a couple of fence panels is a small orchard in effect.

If you do manage to get some and grow them I think your hubby will not be eating many supermarket one afterwards - a pale insignificance of a home grown one
                      ntg
                      Never be afraid to try something new.
                      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                      ==================================================

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X