X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plum trees, post grafting question

Hi
    I have a question about grafting.
    This year I tried grafting for the 1st time.
    I bought some St Julian A rootstock last year and grew them on for a year so I could use them to graft a plum tree that I'm trying to save, as it looks like it's dying.

I decided after asking a few questions that I'd take the Scions straight from the tree just before the buds broke.
    Anyway, I think I did everything right, but the problem I have is that of the few that took, the buds have broken and they have small leaves, but they don't seem to be growing, it's just like the bud has started but has just stopped there.

The other problem is that there seems to be a small flow of brownish liquid /sap from the bottom of the tape that I used to bind the graft which gets worse the more I water the plants.

I just wondered if anyone might have some idea as to what is going on, as I'd really like at least one of these grafts to take as the plum variety is amazing.

Many thanks for looking
    Last edited by rocco1504; 08-05-2023, 02:28 AM.

Both of those are likely because the graft hasn't fully sealed/healed over yet. The sap is being pushed up by the roots, but only some of it is going into the scion, and the rest is leaking out, as it would from any wound. And the leaves emerging but not growing much thereafter is similarly a sign they are not getting enough water and nutrients to grow.
    I would think both of these problems would resolve themselves over time, once the graft fully heals, but someone who is more familiar with grafting could tell you better.

Comment

I'm afraid it's possible that the graft hasn't actually taken. The growth from the scion was using stored energy from within the scion wood. This has now been used up hence the growth has stopped. The rising sap from the rootstock is oozing out from the grafting tap due to the failed graft.

Comment

Hi Rocco, I too am trying out new grafting techniques. I wish you luck! 🤞🏻

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X