Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeding Fruit Trees

Hello.
    How often during the growing season should I feed Apple and Plum trees? This is the 3rd and 2nd summer they will have been in the ground. I have this week dug over the soil around the trees, removing weeds and I forked-in five handfuls of blood, fish and bone around each tree. Would this be enough for this growing season? Or do I repeat the application again at some point?
    Last edited by GF3; 25-03-2023, 11:45 PM.

I'd judge it on how much they grow. If the put on enough growth to satisfy you by early July then once is plenty. If they don't, give them another feed.

Comment

Along with the BFB slow release fertiliser,when the trees have fruit on in the summer months I give each tree 10 litres of water containing a high potassium feed/tomato fertiliser. I do that about twice in the summer,potassium bulks out the fruits,also has health benefits for the trees.

Comment

Many thanks for the replies.
        I did use a liquid tomato feed a few times during the summer last year. I have also read that liquid seaweed can also be beneficial.
        Thanks again.

Comment

Are these feeding suggestions good for fruit trees in pots? Have an apple tree which we get lots of fruit from, pear trees and plum tree have next to no fruit.
          sigpic

Comment

In containers I’d use a lot less BFB,maybe a quarter of a handful sprinkled around the top away from the tree bark,not much just a few pinches of it,tomato fertiliser & seaweed are good for flowers & fruit,it’s the same measurements as for tomatoes,I think one capful for five litres but check the label Are the pear & plum self fertile or would they be better with a partner?

Comment

Thanks JJ! I’ll start feeding now as they are just starting to ‘wake up’ I’ve no idea if they are self fertile. I’ve two of each…different varieties…again no idea which varieties. I maybe get three or four pears from each, delicious they are too. The plums are very small but tasty too, just not many.
              sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X