Do moth traps work?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do moth traps work?

So, now I've just bought some fruit tree grease, for the trunk climbing pests. Bit late for the over-winterers, but gotta start sometime.
    Now I'm looking at coddling moth traps - which indicate the amount of infestation - for our apple tree. But when looking at the reviews on Amazon someone posted a picture of a dead blue tit in one of the traps Has anyone any comments on their effectiveness and how to keep small birds out of the 'green tent' versions?
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

I haven’t used traps before but I saw that trap with the photo on amazon page,some traps look thin that a bird couldn’t get inside,the birds feet getting stuck in the trap also happens to bats in that style of trap. I took a photo of this one I found,it says friendly for birds & pollinators -

Click image for larger version

Name:	CA9252B9-8F2C-4C88-87DE-910DA60F3CDC.png
Views:	137
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	2557540

Comment

I wondered about just putting a bit of netting over the ends of the trap. Or some chicken wire over it? Not sure about something hanging up like that one.

Comment

According to tests, they're reasonably effective at reducing coddling moth damage (they won't stop it completely, though), and one trap is sufficient for 4-5 trees (as long as you don't have a massive garden with trees on opposite sides, of course).
        I'm thinking of getting some myself this year, as coddling moth was especially bad last year.

As for small birds, chicken wire ought to do the trick, I'd have thought.
        Also, I think you're misunderstanding how that one linked above works. That's not a bare sheet of sticky paper. It has a clear plastic case over it, with thin-ish gaps in the side, big enough for insect to crawl into but not big enough for birds.
        Last edited by Snoop Puss; 09-02-2023, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post
          ...Also, I think you're misunderstanding how that one linked above works. That's not a bare sheet of sticky paper. It has a clear plastic case over it, with thin-ish gaps in the side, big enough for insect to crawl into but not big enough for birds.
          Ah right thanks. I didn't get chance to go and look for the actual product on Amazon but will do now.

Edit: I've just checked out some of the reviews. Some say it works, some say it doesn't and one or two say it does catch/kill pollinators. One mentions it catching bumblebees.

So as it it a bit dearer than the 'green tent' types I think I'll buy one of those and see if I can find some netting to go over it. Big enough for moths but not big enough for bees.
          Last edited by smallblueplanet; 09-02-2023, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X