Sweet cherry recommendations

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet cherry recommendations

I'm planning to buy a sweet cherry tree, but have no idea what variety to get. It needs to be a self-fertile one, and ideally I'd like it to taste good and crop heavily.
    Any suggestions?

Is canker an issue where you are ?

Comment

Not a serious issue, but I do get some.

I've actually already ordered the tree now, though. I assumed no one was going to reply. I went for Cherokee.

Comment

No worries, enjoy the cherries next year

Comment

I just hope your blackbirds are less resourceful than mine. I got 12 perfect cherries off my sweet cherry tree the first year. Despite nets I have never had another..... but at least they leave the Morello cherry tree alone now.

Comment

I actually already have a large wild cherry tree in my garden already, which will be coming down this winter. It's getting too big and too much to keep pruned, the crop size compared to the size of the tree is paltry, and the flavour is so-so at best. But I rarely get much of a problem with birds, even with that tall, unnetted tree. A small tree, which I can net if necessary, should be fine.

Comment

Netting is painful, but seems to work for me, the cherries are superior to what supermarkets sell. However a cherry against a wall would be much easier to net .

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X