Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice re training grape vine

Hi
    Im pretty new to gardening at all but am keen to grow a grape vine from a raised bed up and across the roof of a polycarbonate patio awning (see photo)
    The grape is Boskoop glory and I bought it in a pot (photo).
    So I’ve read quite a bit online, in my RHS, but am still unsure if I can grow just a single stem, with support, up the 1.8m to the roof and then train it along wire the remaining 4m of the roof, with wires either side to support the fruit bearing growth tho my understanding is not to allow fruiting for the first few years?
    Any advice very welcome as I know next to nothing but can google and read :-)

Sounds really nice,I’m wondering is it strong enough for an eventually large vine & with strong winds blowing it about sometimes? Could the force loosen the structure? Would extra support posts help somewhere? Mine didn’t try to fruit until about year four

Comment

If you are going to train it against the wall then a single rod would work best. If you figure on bunches of grapes after say 5 years every 20 cm or so that will give you some idea of the ultimate weight you need to support with a wire.

Another approach would be to have rods running down each roof beam, but I'm not sure if you have the height for that. You ouhgt to be able to get some ripe grapes as long as the weather is not too bad.

Comment

Jungle Jane I hadn’t really thought of strength but def need to. I’m already changing the awning upright to wood and moving to the front of the awning and adding proper guttering (& another water butt) so I might add a wooden frame halfway along to support the vine + add more support to the awning. Thank you

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X