Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deformed/ infected apples.

Hi,
    Some of the apples, <10% , on my 8 year old Sunset have started exhibiting a problem, they go "lumpy", no obvious insect damage, gradually go miscoloured. I cut some open and no obvious internal sign of insects. They don't look like anything obviously the same as pests/diseases I've looked up. I have noticed the odd brown spot on some leaves, but it's not very widespread. Another nearby tree is unaffected (for now ?)

Photos on attached link.

Any Ideas ?

Cheers.
    Apple problem album hosted in ImgBB

Could it be a lack of moisture at the roots coupled with the very hot weather we've been having ? If your tree is on a very dwarfing rootstock then obviously the amount of roots even after 8 years maybe quite small.

Comment

Mine did that one year,I put it down to lack of water,slightly dehydrated fruit. Since then I make sure to water in dry spells. Also a bit of fertiliser looks after them,I use BFB in the early spring,then water with seaweed or a tomato feed high in potassium when they have fruit on.

Comment

My Ben's Red did that last year and the year before. It was still a young tree at the time, so i think it was lack of water that did it.

Comment

Many thanks all, I'm pretty sure it was a dwarfing rootstock...so ill keep an eye on it in dry conditions and start to feed it a bit.

Thanks again for the responses.

Comment

Don't try to watch for problems with fruit if we get very dry weather. By the time you spot an effect it will be too late.

Just water around trees etc if we have dry weather in the early Summer, and they have set young fruit. A hose left on a trickle near the trunk for a few hours will usually do the trick.

Comment

cheers nickdub , will do.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterB View Post
                cheers nickdub , will do.
                You're very welcome - Happy gardening :-)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X