Tomato from saved seed ID

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomato from saved seed ID

Can anyone tell me what variety this tomato is?
    It came from saved seed from supermarket fruit.
    The plant has cropped well with fist sized fruits to such an extent that the support has collapsed.
    The fruits are mostly solidly green and are just beginning to show signs of ripening.
    The first one has a healed over blossom end injury that does not appear to have held it back.
    I just do not remember saving any seed from fruits like these and am curious.
    I know that saved seed sometimes does not come true to form from some hybrids but this is wildly different from anything I have seen in the shops.
    The soil is Derbyshire clay and horse manure. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6437C.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	313.1 KB
ID:	2509926Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1621.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	2509927Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1623.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	2509928Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1627.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	2509929
    Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

I will say that based on my experiences with saved seed this year, I would not be surprised if it has indeed just diverged wildly from the parent.

I grew plants this year from seed saved from Mountain Magic (an F1 variety). Only one of six plants grew like its parent (which produces red, round, golf ball sized fruit). Two grew fruit of a similar size but plum shaped; one grew cherry plums; one grew fruit of a similar size but a knobbly, irregular shape, like beefsteak tomatoes often are; and one grew heart shaped fruits.

Comment

I got smooth cherry plume and others that are slightly irregular.
      The big aggressive plants crushed some chilie peppers and produced the large irregular fruits and some large but not quite as big round fruits.
      It is fun playing the saved seed lottery.
      Lets see if there are any more winners.

Comment

To be honest you don't stand a chance identifying the tomato. At best, you'll be able to find the cultivar if the tomato has a name given to it by the supermarket. There are over 6000 named cultivars many of which are similar. What you look to have there is a pink/red beefsteak (of which there are hundreds).

However, don't let that stop you growing them from saved seed. F1 hybrids (as said) tend not to run true (although there are a number of varieties out there which have been derived from F1 hybrids and are "near enough" to the original to be indistinguishable).

Saving seeds is easy and if you've space grow a few plants and save the next generation of seeds which are the best. After seven generations all the same, they seem to keep true after that and in 50 years you can call it a heritage tomato.

As said, I've grown Mountain Magic and they certainly don't run true for the first generation (potato leafed and regular leafed, different sizes & shapes).

Comment

The baby plums are all sorts of shapes.
          They all have that nice home grown taste so I am happy.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X