Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I top/ pinch out chilli and pepper plants??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I top/ pinch out chilli and pepper plants??

Hi there,

I have seen a lot during my research about topping/pinching out the top of chilli and pepper plants. I am wondering if this is something I should be doing to my plants?

I have seen a few different videos about doing this, when to do it and how.

My pepper plants have just started forming some buds at the top and I have read this is when you should pinch out the top. Any advice about doing this?

A couple of my purple cayenne plants have also started to form a Y shape at the top and buds are forming. Should I top these as well?

It seems like a drastic course of action, cutting away the top of your plants, especially to a newbie like me. Will it increase harvests and make stronger, healthier chilli and pepper plants?

Should I top or just leave to grow? How and when should I do this, how many sets of leaves to chop off? Does it depend on the variety of chilli or pepper plant?

So many questions, I know! Any advice and guidance on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I've only ever grown dwarf chilli plants so don't bother but this is a discussion from last year on here....

https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...-chilli-plants
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I have tried all that , now i just let them get on with it. I do pinch out the top if they get to big for the space there in . and i give them support as they can get
      heavy .

Comment

I never pinch out the tops and they grow just fine.

And when your back stops aching,
        And your hands begin to harden.
        You will find yourself a partner,
        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

We don't pinch out either, tried a couple of plants one year but couldn't really see any difference in yield.
          Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have done a little experiment, leaving the chilli plants untouched, I do have quite a few california wonder pepper plants so I have pinched out two plants and left two to grow on. Will have to wait and see the results.

Thanks again

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X