overgrown grape vines

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overgrown grape vines

I have a question that needs answering about pruning of grape vines. I moved into my new home here in northeast Iowa this last winter. On my property is an extensive grape vine. I do not know that much about gardening or plants for that matter so bare with me please. The initial vine that comes out of the ground is at least 4 to 5 inches in diameter and is at least 30 feet long before any branches of new growth starts. Then the vines continue for another 30 feet in all directions at least into the top of an apple tree. I have also noticed that the apple tree is dieing.

I would like to know how far back i can cut the vine? Can i cut the initial vine to were it is only a few feet high, or in other words, start the vine over? I have a fence right next to the vine and i would love to train the vine over the fence, but just do not know how to go about it so i would not have the 30 feet before the branching off of the new and old growth.

The vine is producing good grapes. I believe they are concord and right now i think they are just about ready to be picked. I know that you can only prune when the leaves or off or in the winter. I just need to know how much is too much.

thank you.

Hi tspiker

Sorry, don't know anything about growing grapes but justwanted to say welcome
    Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Don't know much about pruing vines either - which could explain the state of the one we hav - mind you it's fruiting very heavily and our BBQ guests at the weekend were very impressed that they were sweet enough to eat. If anybody out there knows what we're supposed to be doing the information would be much appreciated by me also!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

How about a compromise tspiker.

Prune the existing one normaly & take the prunings cut an angled cut kust above a bud so it shed water & a straight cut just below a bud at the base & stick half a dozen in some gritty compost in something like a 7" pot, put them in a coldframe/cold greenhouse or a sheltered spot & next year they should be rooted & you can have another to train on the fence & maybe a couple to give to your best friends for a late christmas pressie
        Last edited by nick the grief; 30-08-2006, 06:58 PM.
        ntg
        Never be afraid to try something new.
        Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
        A large group of professionals built the Titanic
        ==================================================

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post
          How about a compromise tspiker.

Prune the existing one normaly & take the prunings cut an angled cut kust above a bud so it shed water & a straight cut just below a bud at the base & stick half a dozen in some gritty compost in something like a 7" pot, put them in a coldframe/cold greenhouse or a sheltered spot & next year they should be rooted & you can have another to train on the fence & maybe a couple to give to your best friends for a late christmas pressie
          Are you saying to prune them as usual when the leaves fall off, then take the prunings and pot them and store them in a cold shed over winter.

Comment

Hi tspiker, not sure what the winters are like in your part of the world (Iowa may be very cold?) but I pruned my much smaller grapevine in late winter, I think it was around February, & just pushed a few prunings into a pot of compost & left it by the house wall (south facing & sheltered) & they rooted. I also used a couple of prunings as support sticks pushed into my veg. patch & one of these has now rooted there & has a lovely set of leaves, will have to dig it out & pot it up. I'm not sure about your plans to drastically prune your large vine, I think it might take years to establish new fruiting spurs & it sounds a shame to risk losing the grapes but I would certainly cut it back out of the tree to nearer where the new growth starts from the 30ft long trunk. Make sure you do this when the plant is dormant or it will 'bleed'. It's O.K. to cut some of the rampant green leafy growth off now though to give the grapes some light, I'm always hacking at mine as it goes over an arch in the garden & I want to keep it in check.
            Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Originally posted by tspiker View Post
              Are you saying to prune them as usual when the leaves fall off, then take the prunings and pot them and store them in a cold shed over winter.
              Yes thats it just like SueA Says. I'm not sure of the winters you get in Iowa either but If you have a cold frame or a cold greenhouse that would be OK. You want them to remain frost free ish really.
              ntg

Comment

it amazes me that they will root in the cold or at least frost free place.

I hate to be so ignorant about this but could you describe in detial how i should prune so it gives the clippings the best chance?

Comment

Hi Tspiker,

This is the best bet as it was written by Iowa state uni

http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortn...995/prune.html
                  Your cuttings want to look like this. Sloping cut at the top & straight at the bottom.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Grape.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	2317993
                  Last edited by nick the grief; 02-09-2006, 07:37 PM.
                  ntg

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X