Minerette?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minerette?

Now that I have cleared the second half of my plot I am thinking about fruit. I saw an advert for minerette trees (apple, pear, plum n cherry) and thought this may be a good way of growing several types without compromising on space. Has anyone planted any of these trees? Do they produce a descent amount of fruit? Do they require any special needs?

As always any advice/encouragement/warnings will be happily received.

I bought 2 minarette plum trees a couple of years ago, but I didn't realise they were only 'minarette' if you prune them correctly. I haven't got it right, despite trying to follow the pruning instructions, so I now have one that looks reasonable, but the other one, despite chopping it off regularly, looks more like a tree tree, if you see what I mean. I haven't had any plums yet, but I did get flowers, so at least i hadn't chopped those off.
    It would be a good idea to look up the pruning instructions before buying, so you can make a more informed decision than I did.
    I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
    Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Professor Peabody View Post
      Now that I have cleared the second half of my plot I am thinking about fruit. I saw an advert for minerette trees (apple, pear, plum n cherry) and thought this may be a good way of growing several types without compromising on space. Has anyone planted any of these trees? Do they produce a descent amount of fruit? Do they require any special needs?

As always any advice/encouragement/warnings will be happily received.
      I bought 2 apple tree cordons (same thing from Blackmoor this year).
      You wouldn't get any fruit in the first year (and should not let it fruit more than one apple in the first year anyway) but according to blackmoor :-
      "Thank you for your enquiry
      They can be planted around 2-3 feet apart. Yes they can be grown upright,
      that's how I have them in my garden
      There might be a small amount of fruit next summer depending on the variety
      but the following summer they will start and the crops then build up each
      year.
      I pick around 40-50 apples a year from mine and they are now 4 years old
      Regards
      Jon"

One important thing if you go a cherry tree it will need protection or you will have 99% loss to birds. Apples do not have the same problem.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X