Rhubarb rescue

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhubarb rescue

Hi, I "rescued" some rhubarb from the GC today- Early Timperley. It has 2 small stalks/leaves and 1 slightly larger broken one, and is in a largish pot, about 10" diameter, doesn't look "too big for its pot" if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I hear rhubarb is quite happy in part shade, so I was thinking of putting it at the end of my allotment where the hedge is. The only trouble is, I haven't cleared that end yet! It's going to be a big job, as there is the remnants of an old shed / compost heap / something-with-corrugated-metal-sheets there, as well as some thickish ash branches growing through the brambles and nettles... (you get the picture). And I don't really want to tackle that bit yet anyway, not until I've cleared some space for about 20 kale plants that urgently need to get in the ground...

So the question is - how long do you reckon I can leave the plant in its container at home and when must I plant it by? Should I pot it into a bucket to keep it going or will it be alright in its present container?
    Last edited by Demeter; 20-07-2008, 09:19 PM.
    Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

I think your rhubarb will be fine in a 10" pot until you get around to planting it. It might do better elsewhere but will survive where it is.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Instead of just leaving the pot lying around, plant the pot( with the plant in it) into some spare ground. The Rhubarb will then be kept at an even temperature and it can root through the bottom of the pot to take advantage of moisture from the ground. I find this helps when plants are 'kept waiting' so to speak.
      I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Thank you both!
        Will leave it in the pot for now, and sink the pot into the ground once I've got some clear ground to sink it in (i.e. once I've dug up some spuds!!)
        Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

I have three rhubarb waiting to go in but I don't want to plant till sept after I have some manure delivered. They have all been planted up into a builders bucket with holes in it till Sept. The builders buckets were only 89p each, so a nice cheap tub.

Ian

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X