Fruitless fruit bushes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fruitless fruit bushes

New to all this gardening lark but have a patio full of veg so am feeling most chuffed! However, I also have a gooseberry bush and a blueberry plant, both in large tubs. They were cheap in Woolworths and now look remarkably healthy BUT absolutely no sign whatsoever of flowers or fruits. Is this normal? How long until I can expect some fruit? (trying not to sound too impatient!) Enlighten me, please!

Just give them time, blueberries don't need much in the way of pruning to start with. I removed the first blossom and the following year I had more and the fruit was delicious. Gooseberries need pruning practically from the first year, otherwise they can become quite a tangled mess. Keep the centre open and prune out any shoots that want to make there way downwards. I find that standards are better for avoiding the dreaded american mildew.

Comment

Err, what's a standard?

Comment

Originally posted by Tam View Post
        Just give them time, blueberries don't need much in the way of pruning to start with. I removed the first blossom and the following year I had more and the fruit was delicious. Gooseberries need pruning practically from the first year, otherwise they can become quite a tangled mess. Keep the centre open and prune out any shoots that want to make there way downwards. I find that standards are better for avoiding the dreaded american mildew.
        Try spraying with washing soda that keeps the mildew down.

Comment

A standard is when you grow a plant on a "leg". You keep growing it upwards by pinching out the side shoots until it reaches the height you want it to be. You then stop it to encourage side branches to grow. You ideally want a "bowl" shape at the top to keep it open in the centre.

Comment

So can I prune the lower branches now to get the same effect? It's in a pot on its own but as I've no idea where the branches are going to go next, all advice appreciated!

Comment

You could remove side branches now, but I would be inclined to leave it until next spring, this will make the bush stronger. If you do decide to go for a standard, you will, of course, need to support the main stem with a cane until it is strong enough to stand on its own.

Comment

Ta muchly for that. May have to use something more solid than cane and string if I end up living on Skye next year as is the current plan...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X