Blossom on Pear tree!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blossom on Pear tree!

Hi, Back in March I bought and planted 2 Conference Pear trees, and both were in blossom, resulting in 2 pears on one and three pears on the other tree. Bearing in mind these are baby fruit trees, the pears seem to be doing well. However, went out this morning and one of the trees is covered with white blossom and the other looks as if it is just about to start blossoming. The fruit is still intact and growing on the trees. I've never seen or heard of this before. Can anyone suggest a reason why the trees should start to blossom again, and should I just leave the fruit on the trees or remove them?
    Thanks in advance.

Personally I'd remove the blossom rather than the fruit as it doesn't have a hope of setting/growing/ripening before winter. I'd hazard a guess that it's something to do with the transplanting, though I don't know what, perhaps a sudden rush of energy as the roots begin to take hold? This happened to us with a Bramley apple in similar circumstances, but there hadn't been any initial fruit-set, just out of season blossom.
    Last edited by bluemoon; 03-07-2008, 11:25 AM.
    Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Hi Sunflower. My Victoria Plum is doing the same thing. Posted a question about it a few days ago, but nobody has replied. I assume it's something to do with weather patterns. I'm just going to leave mine and see what happens. It's only a few flowers, but I've had a few more show and open since I last posted on this subject. Won't do any harm to leave them. BTW Victoria is not a new planting, it was there when I moved into the cottage 4 years ago and is a mature tree.

Comment

It must be the weather then, Rustylady, it's certainly been all over the place this year.
        Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X