easy strawb runners

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• easy strawb runners

All this business about pegging down runners in pots or the ground and then re locating later. I have found that if you simply clip them off and then float them in a shallow dish or deep saucer of water, at this time of the year they put on loads of root growth within days and within a week or so can be potted on. This way they do n't continue to drain the parent plant of energy and they do n't get in the way of all the ripening fruit.
    I put in lots of strawb plants last year and got a minimal crop, this year they are abundant, so the ole second year onwards adage appears to be true.
    I am rooting a few runners to keep a mixed age structure to my plants which number about 60 in a range of containers, grow bags and open ground. interestingly buckets and open graound seem the most productive.

Thanx for that tip, Mugsy. I'll be out with me secateurs the morrow to give it a go.
    I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

I too have gone the 'hydroponic' route. Being a novice strawberry grower and the fact they are in a hanging basket I didn't know any different. One question I have though - my plants are 'everbearers' does this mean the parent plant is redundant at the end of the season?

Many thanks

Comment

Will be out this afternoon to give it a go.

Ian

Comment

ooo my new strab plants (planted in April this year) are producing lots of fruit (woop) and lots of runners. Is it best to leave the runners until leaves develop before clipping them off or can I do them now?
          We plant the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed - Neil, The Young Ones

http://countersthorpeallotment.blogspot.com/
          Updated 21st July - please take a look

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X