No announcement yet.

grapevine help

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So excited, we have flower buds on our vine too!
    BumbleB

I have raked the soil and planted the seeds
    Now I've joined the army that fights the weeds.

Comment

I thought I would add to this thread as it seems to be the general topic I want to know about too. I pruned it hard in the winter and last summer I didn't need to do anymore pruning. However this year, with the heat, it's really taken off and I'm not sure it's too late or a bit tricky to prune it again. I have two main branches, but the whole plant seems to have come alive with long new vines. Should I cut them all off to give the teeny tiny grapes I can see a chance to grow?

Comment

DON'T CUT IT Growem, if you cut hard wood on a vine when it is growing it will bleed sap and you could do it some serious damage or even kill it.

If the green shoots will snap you can take them off. Stop the shoots 2 leaves beyond a bunch of grapes and snap off any shoots you don't want. If they are too hard to snap then stop them as far back as you can. This will allow the vine to put it's energy into the grapes rather than the new shoots. Watch it like a hawk and snap of any new side shoots as they develop and you will need to do this every couple of days.

Best of luck
        Last edited by roitelet; 04-07-2009, 07:20 AM.
        Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Thanks Roitelet, I'll try that tonight.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X