Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 nd year strawberries

hi folks

got 12 strawberrie plants (everbearer variety)that i got last year, as expected they produced a small but tasty crop last summer. bit confused by the info i have read re year two.
    do i leave the first flowers on or do i remove them please help as my two year old son can't get enough of them so i need a bumper crop.THANKS

ALSO GOT RUST COLOURED SPOTS ON MY RASPBERRIE PLANTS ANY RECOMMENDATIONS ON HOW TO ZAP IT ORGANICALLY.

P.A.

If you take off the flowers, you also remove the fruit.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I think you are only supposed to remove flowers the first year to improve cropping later .

Remember to get those runners potted when they sprout so you can have a continuous supply of new plants. Usually Strawberries reduce cropping in 3rd and subsequant years. Also dont keep them in the same place for more than 3 or 4 years.

It doesnt seem to matter how many plants i grow on we never have enough, i suspect i have strawberry theives living in my house! They pop into the greenhouse when I`m not around and pinch anything red! ha ha ha

Good luck

Sandra

Comment

If you've got a dog, they'll nick the strawberries, too! Cheeky little beggars!

I didn't realise that about the runners and reduction in crops - thanks!

Comment

Mine are putting out runners now I think do I let them continue or take them off ? Something is eating the ripe strawberries now, its not birds as they are netted and I dont think its slugs, I weeded the patch and put fresh straw down at the weekend clearing any slugs that I found.
          Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
          and ends with backache

Comment

Jackie, it will be slugs. Trust me. If you don't want the runners for new plants, cut them off.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X