Cape gooseberry outside

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gardenfan/Andy,
    Have you thought about sinking the pot into your border in the garden instead of keeping it in the greenhouse? That way you wouldn't have to water it as much & in the winter you could just lift it & store it indoors if you want to keep it for next year.
    Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Shortie, many Thanks for your advice......good job I didn't mention the giant Jersey cabbages growing against this magic wall. I have some photo to show and also some seeds to give away...but not at the moment. Regards Don

Comment

I know it's warmer here most of the time but I grew them successfully from seed 2 years ago and planted them against a warm south-facing wall in the garden - too much fruit, I didn't know what to do with them all!
        They died back and I cut them down to the ground for the winter, and came back just as strong last year. However early this year we had some bad frosts and I lost the lot - left them for ages and then grubbed them up, but one I missed, and it is now about a foot high and growing like crazy again...they seem to be indestructible!

Comment

Originally posted by Don Vincenzo
          I have some photo to show and also some seeds to give away...but not at the moment. Regards Don
          Don

If you've got more seeds to offer later in the year, why not post them in the Swap Shop when you're ready for everyone to see?
          Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Hi Shortie
            I was referring to the giant jersey caggages or walking sticks. I will try to work out how to use this computer and its bit and bits in orderto post some photos.....I am still try to find out how to work my video recorder!!!!......
            Don

Comment

Don - thank you for your offer. I will certainly PM you. Do you think they will grow ok in the greenouse here? Although I do grow great courgettes in the polytunnel.
              ~
              Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
              ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Hi SueA,

Not sure if Manchester weather would suit them out doors, they seem to do best under glass but being in a pot dry out very quickly. I have moved them outside for now while we have a run of good weather to enjoy the sun. Anyone recommend anything for feeding (any special formulas) and duration (everyday etc)?
                --
                http://gardenfan.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi Gardenfan,
                  From what I've read & what Don Vincenzo & Jersey Jan say in this thread it seems cape gooseberries thrive on neglet & don't need feeding at all! I think if you feed them you will get lots of lush leaf growth but not many fruits as they prefer to grow on sandy soil but you need to water them especially when the fruits are ripening. Have a look at this website I found on them, it's American I think but still relevant to us.
                  www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/cape-gooseberry.html
                  Last edited by SueA; 17-07-2006, 02:34 PM.

Comment

I grew some last year but sowed them a little late, a friend suggested that i overwinter them in the greenhouse. out of 6 plant only 2 survived but this year they have gone MAD.
                    I've planted them in my polly tunnel (i didn't have a pot big enough)and now got loads of fruit coming, the plants are about 3/4ft tall and at least that big round!!!
                    They do seem to thrive on neglect but they don't like to get too cold over the winter. But if they do survive winter you seem to get lots more fruit and they fruit over a much longer time.

Comment

Hi,

The trouble with common names is that it can confuse what the plant really is. The tall plant that everyone has mentioned is P. peruviana, this struck me as odd as mine was only knee heigh and a lot more fussy. I dug out the seed packet and sure enough it mentions Cape Gooseberry and Golden Berry, all common names for P. peruviana. However it does also say P. pruinosa, a ha !!

This is related to P. peruviana, looks the same and produces the same fruit but is smaller and is annual. It uses the common names Cape Gooseberry (confusing), Dwarf cape gooseberry, Dwarf Golden Berry (more confusion) ,ground cherry and strawberry tomato (Physalis is a member of the Tomato family). I guess the morel of this is to be careful what you buy and follow the Latin names, I will be emailing the seed supplier about this.
                      --
                      http://gardenfan.blogspot.com

Comment

Oh well , at least it's solved your problem about overwintering Gardenfan- you can't! Do they taste the same I wonder?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X