No announcement yet.

Anyone else got Gossegogs yet?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i got me some on my red himmokie goose bush there huge looking at them there nearly full size and about 35 of them this is my tallest bush as well, the green himmokie has got any on yet but the smallest bush, the green invicta has about 8 forming and the red pax has just two forming this week, the pax and invicta were planted a bit later, i dont know if the green him is just slow or a younger bush but the red is doing fantastic there all about 2-3 years old, i never wet the leaves when watering, and use liquid growmore and potash if the reds anything to go by there happy plants.

Comment

i've got little tiny ones and tiny currents of an as yet indeterminate type. Its very exciting.
      We plant the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed - Neil, The Young Ones

http://countersthorpeallotment.blogspot.com/
      Updated 21st July - please take a look

Comment

No gooseberries here yet but I've managed to save most of the leaves so far from the sawfly larvae, not noticed any flowers either though but the plant is in a pot & I only got it as a tiny baby last year!
        Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

I have teeny ones on a bushy standard plant. Last year the wasps had em.
          Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

My Gooseberry bush was a rescued one from Wilko,the last living one in the shop by the look of the others,knocked down to £1(bargain!!)it's only got one sprig of leaves on it, just put it in the ground,so no goosegogs for me this year :-(

Comment

Lots of littlies; reckon they'll be ready in a couple of weeks. Keeping a good eye out for the blasted saw fly this year - he attacks every year but we always have good crops.

Comment

I have and had them since the end of April.
                I had some mildew but killed it with washing soda and pruning.

How do you bottle the fruit ?

Comment

[QUOTE=southlondongardener;230005]I have and had them since the end of April.
                  I had some mildew but killed it with washing soda and pruning.QUOTE]

Mine have got mildew How do you do the Soda thing?
                  Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs!
                  Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

Comment

Sunningdale Allotments

Good luck - I used washing up liquid instead of soft soap.

You should start spraying in April.

Comment

Thanks for that SLG....I'll give it a go.
                      Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs!
                      Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

Comment

ours are not far away. Some are going a bit blush coloured but still sour, any time now, they will be ready.
                        We plant the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed - Neil, The Young Ones

http://countersthorpeallotment.blogspot.com/
                        Updated 21st July - please take a look

Comment

Well done all those who've got gooseberries .... we have 3 bushes and OH said they were loaded with gooseberries last week, I checked yesterday and only a handful of gooseberries + most of the leaves had disappeared too .........

....... presume birds have eaten the fruit

...............but what has stripped the leaves off? All that's left are the stalks that the leaves used to be on.

Yes, he forgot to cover the bushes over ..............
                          Lass

In all things of nature there is something marvellous.
                          - Aristotle

Comment

Sawfly!!!!
                            the caterpillars eat the leaves in a blink!
                            We have gooesgogs almost ready to pick fingers crossed!

Comment

Originally posted by Headfry View Post
                              Sawfly!!!!
                              the caterpillars eat the leaves in a blink!
                              We have gooesgogs almost ready to pick fingers crossed!

Didn't see any blinking flies .................

Wondering whether it's worth keeping the 3 bushes or putting something else in their place .......... do you think they'll regrow next year?

Goodluck with yours
                              Last edited by leicestershirelass; 05-06-2008, 10:54 AM.
                              Lass

In all things of nature there is something marvellous.
                              - Aristotle

Comment

I think
                                The sawfly pupae are in the ground around the base of the gooseberry bushes.
                                In the winter dig this up and turn around the soil and the birds will have a feast.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X