No announcement yet.

plum tree problems

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a thought - this year has been incredibly dry for most of the country (no real rain for months) and plums do need a lot of water, especially on a dwarf rootstock. Pixy in particular can't always draw up enough water to support the tree and swelling fruits, especially if they've only been in the ground a year or two.
    Normally a plant that is short of water will have leaves that are going brown on the edges before curling up.

Also the curled leaves would be left on a plant after aphids have been eaten by birds/bugs so wouldn't always be seen as a cause of the damage.
    Last edited by purplekat; 29-04-2011, 05:37 PM.

Comment

My very old plum tree cropped really well - tastiest fruit ever, no wasps, rot, dameg of any sort - but its leaves have suddenly started to go yellow and fall. I would put it down to water stress (this is Birmingham, a smallish Victorian city garden with lots of other trees around competing for water) except that my neighbour's plum tree (a Pershore I think) which also cropped will is still covered in green leaves. A rowan in the garden has also had all its leaves go brown and Autumnal, though others not far away are still green.

I looked up fireblight wrt the rowan but that does not much resemble this tree - and it doesn't affect plums, either. I still wonder if the two phenomena are linked, but they may not be.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X