Blueberry advice

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blueberry advice

I have a 3 year old blueberry bush (bluecrop) and 2 new bushes that I bought a couple of months back. All are in similar size pots, in ericaceous compost. It's very noticeable that the old blueberry has far fewer flowers than the new ones - maybe about a third the amount.

What I'm wondering is if this is just how things are and they produce less as they get older, or if there's something I should/shouldn't do to help the old one and stop the new ones going the same way!!

It may be just down to the difference in variety of bush. Or the older one may need pruning, although I understand that blueberries need little trimming.
    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Last year i had a good crop on my 3 Tophat bushes. This year hardly any on 2 and none on 1 plant.
      Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
      Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
      https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
      Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

blueberries need rain water not tap water when available and like an azalia or rozedandron fertiler as feed and need a good size pot, a little end of season pruning but not much. i also use a little bit of growmore as well, mine seam ok and my bluecrop has the most on seconded by my sunshine variety.

Comment

Mine have sent out reaaly long new branches this year. Can I cut them back. I don't want the plants to grow to big as they are on the patio. Mine are 2 years old and have a really good crop this year.I water with rain water and I put a manure mulch on top.I will feed with acid plant fertiliser soon.

It has two chances , up or down.

Comment

My 2nd year Bluecrop has produced a single berry this year and none last year.

It's in ericaceous compost and watered from the rain butt.

Maybe should have used appropriate fertiliser as well
            aka Neil

Comment

I find the birds get the berries quicker than I can.
              Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

All fruit trees and bushes, to a certain extent, seem to have a good year followed by an average year. Last year I had an amazing amount of fruit, this year very little. Look on the bright side, at least your blueberries aren't synchronized so there should always be at least one on top form.
                Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X