No announcement yet.

autumn raspberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't worry about the raspberries I have still got half a row that I need to moved but was stopped by the weather. I normally cut my autumn raspberries down to about 10 inches.
    [

Comment

Gold / red rasps

A silly question. I have my regular autumn (red) raspberries in the garden, which I am planning to move to the allotment. I also have the gold raspberries that I got with the GYO offer which I potted up while I prepare the soil in the allotment. I was just thinking.... Can I plant the red rasps next to the gold rasps? will this affect the colour of the fruit when it comes to pollination?
      Thanks!
      Acorn

Comment

My autumn raspberries never arrived. I sent an email to offers@growfruitandveg.co.uk and received the following reply:

"Thank you for your interest in GYO magazine and your order for the Raspberry Canes. I have investigated your query, and I apologise for the delay in getting these canes to you – I have re-ordered them and they will be with you as soon as the external company can post them.

If you have any further queries then please call me on the number below.

Many thanks
        "

Keeping my fingers crossed!

Janet

Comment

still waiting for my raspberries, hopefully the ground will thaw enough to plant them when they do eventually arrive

Comment

Missing rasps

To whoever is still waiting on their free rasps;
            I contacted GYO about this last month on behalf of forum members who were still waiting delivery of their free rasps, and have done so again this evening. Not sure what the problem is or has been - possibly too many people out there want something for nothing - but it doesn't reflect well on GYO magazine. Anyway, hopefully it wil all be sorted soon - just look on your canes as an extra pressie for Christmas
            Cheers
            Rat
            Rat

British by birth
            Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
            http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Acorn - Have had a row of Autumn Bliss seperated from a row of Allgold (or was it Fallgold ?) by a wide strip of carpet, for several years now, and no hint of any colour weakening/mixing - but the runners do tend to intermingle !
              Both are great tasting fresh (my son looks like a raspberry by November ! ), the yellow maybe slightly sweeter. I,m not impressed with the yellow for jam , but it seems to make a pretty decent wine - time will tell.

Comment

Golden rasps

Originally posted by Dadnlad
                Have had a row of Autumn Bliss seperated from a row of Allgold (or was it Fallgold ?) by a wide strip of carpet, for several years now, and no hint of any colour weakening/mixing
                Thanks Dadnlad! Do you mean you have the carpet acting as a screen or right across the ground? Sorry if this is obvious...

I am really looking forward to trying my golden raspberries.
                Acorn

Comment

Across the ground, on top of weed control fabric, to keep down weeds in the summer

Comment

That sounds good dadnlad. I use lots of grass cuttings, but your idea sounds much easier. Do the weeds grow on or through the carpet. My lottie had about 30 carpets - all sorts, and the weeds that grown through like a thick carpet of thistles, but they might have been down a long time - so it kinda scared me off carpets. But I do have lots of pure wool strips of carpet in the garage - saved just in case - but never have used. Do the runners come up through the carpet?

Your advice is greatly appreciated

Comment

You shouldn't use carpets on your allotments to cover the ground as carpet contains chemicals that can enter the ground.
                      [

Comment

Thanks for that Lesley

I had to get rid of about 30 - 40 when I took over my plot and just use black plastic to cover areas for the winter now, and have been using grass cuttings, as to use membrane would cost too much for me, my plot is 330ft long by 33ft wide.

http://kooringa.blogspot.com

Comment

Have found that just carpet on ground doesnt work. Weeds grow through after a year or two , and carpet rots horribly !Weed control fabric needs weighting down, and deteriorates from uv rays(not sure how quickly).
                          However, by combining the two, the carpet protects the weed control fabric from the sun and I can permanently stop weeds on the paths between my beds. This means more time spent enjoying 'proper' gardening !

Comment

Or you could cover the weed control fabric with bark chippings.
                            [

Comment

My raspberry plants finally arrived today! Just got to plant them now!

Janet

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X