'Harrummph!' to the frost!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Harrummph!' to the frost!

Well! Those 2 fig trees I bought 10 days ago, that I potted up on the day I bought them (very good for me) have been frosted! We were away over the weekend and got back last night; when I went out today they were looking a little sorry for themselves and all 'wilty'. There are a couple of new tiny leaves which actually look ok: will they also succumb once the death process kicks in, or does the fact that they still look ok mean I haven't completely lost the plants?
    I've put them in the coldframe for now, since it's supposed to be cold again tonight. Will they be safe there? I'm feeling a little peeved with the weather and feel that there's little point sowing stuff whilst it's so cold!

From a grumpy Waffler!

Doesn't sound too good Waffler
    Older trees can tolerate some frost - but youngsters........

Fingers crossed that a bit of TLC might just pull them through- it'll take a few more weeks to see the real damage.
    ( my baby blueberry from Lidl has slowly gone brown over the past couple of weeks too)

Time will tell.... ( although I think I'd be tempted to bring them indoors for a few days to de-stress)
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Some hardy fig trees will resprout from under the soil - so cut back the frost damaged growth and wait and see, I reckon. Do you know the variety?

I wouldn't bring stuff in from cold to hot, its too much for them to cope with (as my now ex-over-wintered chillis found out)...keep them frost free though.
      Last edited by smallblueplanet; 08-04-2008, 08:04 PM.
      To see a world in a grain of sand
      And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I don't know the variety unfortunately - they were Wilko's best: just called 'fig'! I guess I'll just wait and see what happens.
        Thanks!

Comment

Figs are very hardy and are fine under frost, even small ones in pots. Don't worry.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X