Warning!!!!!!!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning!!!!!!!!

Just a little something for all of you new to growing Raspberries.

Mine were planted in October/November 2006. They did quite well last year for their first year.

However as the arrival of manure is imminent I decided to tidy them and the adjacent strip up a bit. I moved the straw mulch and underneath for at least 2'6'' on each side were hundreds of new shoots. If I had left them they would have made a row about 6' wide As I want to keep them under control I dug them all up. I was pulling out roots that were producing new canes about every 2''

Be warned,RASPBERRIES REALLY CAN BECOME WEEDS but they are really ummmy as well
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Wow! Can't help feeling slightly jealous

Another tip - don't get carried away and take your shirt off when you're pruning them in the sunshine. The little thorns prickle for days, and you'd be amazed where they end up!!
    Resistance is fertile

Comment

I will try not to get too carried away and to leave my shirt in situ, can't make any promises though!
      Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

this isnt a problem,think of how many raspberries you could get,
        what veriety are they?
        also have you ever dealt with a company in france called "GRAINES BEAMEUX"
        that could be spelt wrong,
        they have a great website, just wondering how good they are,
        stewart

Comment

Ask pigletwillie swaine I think he may have ordered from them, he's certainly got their catalogue! (As have I. )
          To see a world in a grain of sand
          And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Wagland View Post
            Another tip - don't get carried away and take your shirt off when you're pruning them in the sunshine.
            Oh, I don't know... I think if I took my shirt off on the plot, I'd get all the work done by the old boys on the site!
            I was feeling part of the scenery
            I walked right out of the machinery
            My heart going boom boom boom
            "Hey" he said "Grab your things
            I've come to take you home."

Comment

Absolute quality Swaine with much more variety than anything available in the UK.

Comment

Wouldn't it be good if we could organise an international 'shirt off on your allotment day'. We could get Brad Pitt to front it, he's supposed to be a keen gardener...

Comment

i haven't got an allotment yet, but if all you ladies are getting your shirts off, can i just pop down any old allotments so i don't miss out?
                  or you could all visit my veggie patch - i don't mind, honestly
                  http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

The autumn fruiting primocane raspberries seem to be better behaved that the summer fruiting ones

Comment

Originally posted by swaine View Post
                      stewart
                      They are the mutts nuts for me as are KCB-Samen, who I picked up through the Google adverts on here.
                      TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Originally posted by roitelet View Post
                        Just a little something for all of you new to growing Raspberries.

Can you stick some in a jiffy bag please, I'm only sort of down the road a way
                        TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Whoooo so i will get more Raspberries growing each year for the price of one sounds good to me might be worth taking your shirt off
                          Smile and the world smiles with you

Comment

Originally posted by roitelet View Post
                            Surely they must be just summer fruiting raspberry? If so, then probably we could get away with starting from just one summer variety cane. Was that Glen Ample by the way?
                            Food for Free

Comment

Originally posted by swaine View Post
                              this isnt a problem,think of how many raspberries you could get,
                              what veriety are they?
                              that could be spelt wrong,
                              stewart
                              Just checked, it's Graines Baumaux. Apparently they don't sell to US but I gather British customers are alright though.
                              Food for Free

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X