Anyone Still Gather Wild Fruit?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
    Anyone a bit unsure about what you can eat might try looking for Richard Mabey's book Food for Free. I've had a copy since it first came out - when he was young and dark-haired - and I was young and slim!
    Does this book have good pictures? I've been really tempted by it especially since it's only £2.50 on Amazon at the moment. But I really need pictures just for confirmation and my own peace of mind

I was never taken foraging as a child but now I have children of my own I'm really keen to take it up and share that knowledge with my children. I have 2 boys who are 4 and 2 and they already love blackberry picking although I don't get to see many of the ones they pick I've found a source of sloes ready for my sloe gin but would LOVE to find more things to forage.

I also know of LOADS of hawthorn bushes absolutely laden down with berries but what do you do with them. My friend is a medical herbalist and from her I know they are great for lowering cholesterol and blood pressure but she obviously uses them in tinctures so I still don't know of a "housewife" way of using them.

Comment

I have found a feral apple tree in the park!
      Also (hoping this is not a stupid question) what I think is another apple tree, except the apples are quite small - could it be a crab apple, or are there any trees that produce very small apples?

Comment

Everything is very late here.

This week I have had free Blackberries, Plums and Damsons.
        Looking at the amount of fruit still not ripe, I will be getting a few more weeks worth.

Comment

Mostly picked blackberries this year as there was such a bumper crop of enormous juicy berries on the bushes behind the allotment this year.

I used to live on an estate that had been built on an orchard so could pick plums, apples and pears from trees lining the roads. Not sure if that really qualifies as wild though

Comment

For us this year it has been:

Damsons
            Victoria plums
            Blackberries
            Elderberries

Would have also been Sloes, but we just can't get to them. They on the opposite side of a vast ditch covered in "Stuff"

WW & Nix
            Every day I live with fear,,,,, sometimes she lets me out to play

Comment

Originally posted by northepaul View Post
              I have found a feral apple tree in the park!
              Also (hoping this is not a stupid question) what I think is another apple tree, except the apples are quite small - could it be a crab apple, or are there any trees that produce very small apples?
              Lots of apple varieties naturally produce very small fruit (eg. Irish Peach) and others which are heavy croppers will produce small fruit unless the apples are drastically thinned in the summer. Crab apples are also small (but more so usually) and have an intensely sour flavour.

Guess you'll have to taste one to find out

Comment

Sloes, Blackberries, Damsons, Bullaces, Elderberries and Flowers, and Horse Mushrooms are the main ones. Hazel/Cobnuts occasionally, along with Walnuts.

Thanks Ginge, I can add Apples and Cherries too - my memory isn't what it used to be!

You can't beat free food!
                Last edited by Glutton4...; 08-09-2010, 08:39 AM.
                All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Cherry plums (First time this year), Sloes, Blackberries, Elderberries, Apples, Crab Apples, Rowan berries, Cob nuts, Cherries (if the birds don't get to them first) and wild mushrooms.

Comment

Ohhh I've eaten lots of wild food. Its my favourite type of food, considering I'm vegan and it is FREE. I didn't used to forage when I was younger - I lived in London where the only thing you'd find is blackberry and it tasted of car exhaust! Now I live out in East Anglia, theres allsorts:

Mushrooms
                    Cherries
                    Apples
                    Plum
                    Greengage
                    Pear (rare to find these though)
                    Rosehip
                    Elderberries and Elderflowers
                    Sloes

I have yet to find wild strawbs/raspberries - and when I do, I'll be chuffed

Comment

Rosehips, elderberries, blackberries, and an apple tree that I can't reach (so frustrating).

Comment

rusty - have you seen the fruit pickers you can buy in some garden centres/magazines? they would come in handy

Comment

Originally posted by buzzingtalk View Post
                          rusty - have you seen the fruit pickers you can buy in some garden centres/magazines? they would come in handy
                          Have you seen the price of them?? I just wish I could still climb trees.

Comment

haha!

I saw one for about £30 that I'd consider buying, mainly for foraging and getting to that ever present perfect apple that is out of reach haha. Its gonna go on a christmas list anyway

Comment

I got 8lb sloes, bullaces & blackberries at the weekend, and 2lb apples (unknown variety, quite tart)
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

niiice - you did well to find blackberries still! although there were pleanty that weren't quite ripe in suffolk the other day so they might still be loitering about

gonna get more sloes on the weekend, and some rosehips to make syrup.

Im gutted i didn't find any plums this year though

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X