No announcement yet.

Strawberry - Best taste variety

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enjoyed reading all the comments. I've grown some Alexandria strawberries form Moles Seeds and they are looking good. I'd love to find seeds of Mara des Bois and Aromel but have had no luck so far. My plants out this year are Elsanta, Elvira, Loren, Calypso, Symphony, Hapil, Red Gauntlet. I'll let you all know how they perform and taste.

Comment

I have tried many varieties, but for flavour I always grow Royal Sovereign.
      It was almost wiped out by viruses, but fortunately, thanks to meristem tip culture, plants can be bought from a few suppliers, such as Marshalls.

Comment

hi, Lots to choose from then but are there any particularly suited to containers or doesn't it matter.

Comment

Does anyone know where you can buy some of these as seed?

Comment

Because it is so easy to take runners from plants there isn't a lot of choice when it comes to strawberry seed. A few sell the alpine seed and I have noticed a couple with white strawberry seed on sale this year. Don't know if I can get my head around a white strawberry, I never have with the gold raspberries.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by muckdiva View Post
              The nicest ones I've tried are Mara des Bois, which have a wild strawberry taste. I bought some a few years back and would like some more. I think Ken Muir sells plants now.
              D T Brown's do them I had some arrive a couple of weeks ago along with some Gariguette. I hope they taste as good as they sound

Comment

Wow, Thanks for these recommendations.

I have been considering putting in an order for some french berries from DT Brown and the Gariguette had caught my eye - I can now order with confidence.

It is clear I must have some of those Mara des Bois as well - according to DT Brown they taste like wild strawbs. I had loads of the wild ones last year on my breakfast and it was such a treat.

Last summer I bought some misted runners of Marshmello at a garden show in July. They fruited lightly in August - there was always a few every time I went to the allotment. None made it home they were so tasty! They were very strong plants but I cut off all the runners - or so I thought - but in November I potted up 6 strong plantlets and I have just found a few more lurking that had rooted in the bark path. It must have been a good summer.
                Last edited by Storming Norman; 07-01-2010, 06:24 PM.

Comment

I'm another Marshmello fan.

Was given some berries by a lottie-mate. I'm not a strawberry fan, but they converted me; and my daughter (who is a fan) said they were the best she'd ever tasted and said "That man has a Secret. Weasel it out of him..."

He didn't just manure, straw and years of experience!

Comment

Originally posted by gojiberry View Post
                    I have noticed a couple with white strawberry seed on sale this year. Don't know if I can get my head around a white strawberry, I never have with the gold raspberries.

Ian
                    ive just ordered some 'white soul' alpine seeds to go with my 'Mignonette' seeds. never even had an alpine strawberry before, but ive read on several posts that they have the best taste so i thought i'd give them a try this year. having a white strawberry intrigued me too much, im looking forward to seeing which will be have the best taste!
                    http://pot-to-plot.blogspot.com/ My brand spanking new plot

Comment

Have only ever grown Honeyo (sp?)

Have you seen this list?

List of strawberry cultivars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I had no idea there were so many!

Comment

Originally posted by robD View Post
                        the Gariguette ones were the best strawberries I've ever tasted!
                        Originally posted by tomsloc View Post
                        Hi, best for flavour are Gariguette
                        This one seems to have a lot of votes (I've already got Mara des Bois, but find it tasteless)

Originally posted by Tam View Post
                        I have tried many varieties, but for flavour I always grow Royal Sovereign.
                        I might stretch to buying this one as well (I've got a £5 voucher from DT Brown)
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I would rec Finesse as well Full of flavour, v delicious.

Comment

mine

blanc ameloire (white wild)
                            marshall
                            capron framboise or capron royale
                            saint antoine du pardue
                            anablanca

wifes
                            cambridge late pine
                            royal soveriegn

Comment

I've recently stared with growing strawberries. My selection (9 different cultivars) is based upon recommendations of some people growing several varieties,and and an indepdaent panel test I found somewhere on the web.
                              The one that is named always is 'Lambada' (scored also best in the taste panel test). I have some berries on it now, and I can confirm that they taste sublime (very rich and sweet). The berries aren't firm nor good looking (pale red, irregular shape), adn have very limited 'life'. On top of that, productivity is so-so. So it is not bred professionally, and the plants are hard to get. But purely for gardening, I think it is fully recommended.
                              From the other varieties over here, 'Vima Zanta' is very close behind on taste, and has nicely firm berries

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X