caterpillar heaven v gooseberry nightmare

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StevenT View Post
    I have had the same problem as everyone over the past several years, but the plant still survives. Here are pictures of my bug and a wasp predator eating them. The images are attached.
    Steve
    What sort of wasp is that?

And how do I get some
    "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Found hundreds of these caterpillars on my bushes yesterday, local garden center sold me some organic bug killer for fruit and after treatment they were dropping dead within 2 minutes. This morning I noticed a steady stream of dead bugs being hauled away by a line of Ants, I would imagine after the Ants have eaten them they will die also..2 birds with one stone maybe?
      Last edited by jonah7760; 03-06-2013, 11:50 AM.

Comment

... what's wrong with the ants?

Comment

Originally posted by StevenT View Post
          I have had the same problem as everyone over the past several years, but the plant still survives. Here are pictures of my bug and a wasp predator eating them. The images are attached.
          Steve
          What camera was that taken with? Absolutely stunning pictures
          In the following link you can follow my recent progress on the plot

https://www.youtube.com/user/darcyvuqua?feature=watch

Comment

Doubt he'll answer darcy - his only post was that, in 2009! No exif data available on the images either..

Comment

Oh yeah just seen the date I'm using the app so this thread was on front page thought it would be a current thread
              In the following link you can follow my recent progress on the plot

https://www.youtube.com/user/darcyvuqua?feature=watch

Comment

I can see this is an old forum, but I found it while browsing, as yesterday I found one of my gooseberry bushes infested with small caterpillars, the bush was fine when I looked at it in the morning, then as I was passing it in the afternoon I noticed about a quarter of the leaves had disappeared, but the gooseberries where still OK, inspecting the bush I saw hundreds of small caterpillars, I got a bucket of strong soapy water and a paint brush and went over the whole plant washing the leaves, I also done the same to the bush next to it, although it seemed clear, the caterpillars where dropping onto the ground, so I then sprayed the ground and the bottom of the bush ( not the leaves ) with ***** Fluid, I have been back out to look this morning, and cant see any more caterpillars on the bushes, and the caterpillars on the ground are dead. couldn't believe how quick they where decimating the leaves on the bush.

Comment

Sorry if I put a name there I shouldn't have, perhaps I should have just said a garden disinfectant.

Comment

That's OK Brian - the Vine automatically puts asterisks when you try to type J**yes Your caterpillars were gooseberry sawfly, and they can decimate a bush very quickly.

Comment

One reason I grow my gooseberries in pots is so that I can invert the whole thing (wrapped the base so the compost doesn't fall out) in water (haven't done the soapy water yet) - which drowns the caterpillars.

Comment

Thanks for the reply rustylady , looking on the net, I think you are right , looking at the bushes today the one infested with the caterpillars looks a bit sorry for itself, its just one half of the bush that has lost its leaves, the other side is fine, and no sign of anymore caterpillars, I even cleared the ground around the bush of dead caterpillars, as I didn't want the birds picking them up.

Comment

Sounds a good idea chris , might try that if I get any more bushes.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X