Help with gooseberry varieties?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the pots i use are from wilkinsons, they have tons of different sizes,
    and i use 1 bag per bag of compost, no manure, apparently encourages mildew in some verieties, stewart

Comment

Wow didn’t realize they were so many different types of gooseberries.

Gooseberry Cultivars
      Smile and the world smiles with you

Comment

im pretty sure someones got a list of about 2000 named varieties,
        but many cultivars lost now, and many had a few different names for the same plant,think theres a few places in the uk, that have collection of 150plus
        currantly i have about 50 in mine so only 100 to go,

Comment

Originally posted by swaine View Post
          the pots i use are from wilkinsons, they have tons of different sizes,
          and i use 1 bag per bag of compost, no manure, apparently encourages mildew in some verieties, stewart
          Is this the sort you mean ?
          Wilko Grape Planter Terracotta Large at Wilkinson Plus

What do you mean by" 1 bag per bag "? Do you mean 1 bag of compost and 1 bag of soil ?

Comment

very similar shape,BUT WITHOUT THE DESIGN, they have them in green and that brown colour and they wernt that expensive, im nipping to wilkos later today so ill get an exect price and size, stewart

Comment

sorry missed the 1 for 1
              its one bag of vermiculite per bag of compost, i never use soil in containers,
              sure i was advised against this for a few reasons, one was possible non-sterility of the soil, etc,but feel free and experiment ,i do,
              try a gooseberry in soil and 1 in compost see which responds best,
              stew

Comment

Originally posted by swaine View Post
                very similar shape,BUT WITHOUT THE DESIGN, they have them in green and that brown colour and they wernt that expensive, im nipping to wilkos later today so ill get an exect price and size, stewart
                Did you have a chance to do this ?

Comment

not as yet, work commitments, as soon as i can i have a look in wilkos,
                  , mum bought a huge tub that was over 21inches in diameter and that was around £5,

Comment

that sounds better than homebase !

Comment

Wilko have a lot of stuff in their online catalogue, if it helps either or both of you?

Home at Wilkinson Plus
                      I was feeling part of the scenery
                      I walked right out of the machinery
                      My heart going boom boom boom
                      "Hey" he said "Grab your things
                      I've come to take you home."

Comment

Thanks I will probably go there next weekend.

Comment

Does anyone know if you can "convert" a bush to a straight leg cordon? I'd like to try cordons but without getting rid of my smallish bushes (in the ground 3 years but still quite small).

Comment

dont see why not, with a little training, trim all the lower branches and take it from there, most of my bushes that are supplied on 1 leg never grow new shoots from the base for some reason, where as the bush ones do.so if you try it the results will be intresting

Comment

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but has anyone got/likely to have a cutting of guido they could sell me ?
                              I just would like to grow a fruit which has the same name as my brother in law

Comment

yup, got that 1, ill send you a cutting later in the year when dorment or ill see if i can tease out any rooted suckers so to speak, or pin a branch down ready to be lifted nov time, will update on thursday when i check them over

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X