No announcement yet.

Ribena

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ohhh marvellous - I would never buy ribena to drink but I can always be converted! At least I won't have to offer my friends son milk or water when he comes!

Comment

Further to Mossy's post about growing your cuttings, I got a free blackcurrant plant from a magazine offer late last year & planted it & cut back the stems as instructed. I pushed the cuttings which were about 6-8ins long into the edge of a pot just to see if they would root & forgot about them.A few weeks ago I noticed leaves appear & then a tiny bunch of fruit on one! This time next year you could all be making your own Ribena!
      Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

I bought a 3 pack of cartons for 93p and won on all of them! Great!

Comment

I can't find any promotional cartons anywhere
          Wife, mother, reader, writer, digger so much to do so little time to do it! Follow me on Twitter @digdigdigging

Comment

Elmo, try the Co-op if you have one near you. They still had cartons with the promotion on in ours last week but then they always seem to have almost out of date stock in!
            Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

I posted my purple straw off last week and am looking forward to planting it. Would it grow in a big pot do you think? until i can find room on my allotment to plant it.

Comment

update

after god knows how many months they finally sent me my ribena cutting a few weeks ago been so busy i havent had a chance to plant it yet so i hope its ok we'll soon see x
                stay safe, be happy, have fun

Comment

How did I miss that one last year with a small person who adores the stuff?

Never mind I keep telling her all the other cuttings we were given were ribena bushes. Hopefully she won't taste the difference.
                  Bright Blessings
                  Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

I planted my two "sticks" a wee while ago now and strangely enough they still resemble sticks !

I live in hope for great things in a few years.

Catch up with my daily doings at http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ and http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/ but wait a while cos these are well out of date ! Don't want to ditch them entirely cos I'll never remember the urls !

Comment

I have masses of blackcurrants sitting in my freezer. Anyone know how to make Ribena??
                      Jools

Comment

My free cuttings finally arrived - I'd forgotten about them. They were really free: we got the coupon off of the bottles chucked in our front garden. They are in the allotment now, waiting for some warmth to start em shooting
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Recipe in the season to taste board jools.

Comment

Thanks Piglet! I have a couple of blackcurrant bushes which crop their socks off every year and I'm never really sure what to do with them.
                            Jools

Comment

Originally posted by mrskp View Post
                              I planted my two "sticks" a wee while ago now and strangely enough they still resemble sticks !

I live in hope for great things in a few years.

Same here... no change from the stick. I re-read the instruction the other day and it says that it takes quite a few weeks to get going. I just hope I didn't kill mine by not planting it straight away. I got mine around xmas time and with the family and all the xmas malaky I didn't get the chance to plant it for a while...

Comment

Originally posted by jools View Post
                                I have masses of blackcurrants sitting in my freezer. Anyone know how to make Ribena??
                                Jools
                                Home made blackcurrant cordial...
                                • Crush fruit in a bowl with wooden spoon
                                • Add half a pint of water for each pound of fruit.
                                • Cook slowly, squishing the blackcurrants with the back of the spoon.
                                • Strain through sieve - Retain pulp for second recipe!
                                • Add a pound of sugar for each pint of liquid.
                                • Cool and store in sterilized bottles.
                                • Keep refrisgerated for about 2 weeks - Dilute to taste!

Blackcurrant preserve...
                                • Press the cooked pulp from your cordial through a sieve.
                                • Add a pound of sugar for each pound of puree.
                                • Add a pinch of cinnamon and stir over a low heat until the sugar dissolves.
                                • Bring to a simmer and cook until it thickens.
                                • Store in sterilised preserving jars.
                                Last edited by Ratty; 15-02-2007, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X