Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grapevine rich soil or poor soil

Collapse

X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Grapevine rich soil or poor soil

    I heard on Gardeners' question time a few weeks ago that grapes should have poor soil. But my fruit books says that they need rich soil with compost etc.

    What do people think ?

    BTW it will be in a pot and growing in a small greenhouse. It is lakemont

  • #2
    No idea! But you are right according to James and Oz...it's the 'Terroir' which affects the quality of the grape.....
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Nicos View Post
      No idea! But you are right according to James and Oz...it's the 'Terroir' which affects the quality of the grape.....
      Say that again Nicos...
      A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

      BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

      Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.


      What would Vedder do?

      Comment


      • #4
        Terroir....... ( notice the French accent there!!)
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Nicos View Post
          Terroir....... ( notice the French accent there!!)
          I thought you were clearing your throat.
          A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

          BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

          Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.


          What would Vedder do?

          Comment


          • #6
            ' Bof.....'
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

            Comment


            • #7
              Well, the Terroir around my grape vines is pretty grim and they are growing well (if you don't count this year's mildew/blight)

              They are in the open ground up against a South East? stone wall so they don't get that much water. I don't bother with them much at all and anyway, being as how I am about the least green fingered person in the whole wide universe, they have to take their chances.

              I have heard on many occasions that grapes thrive on neglect, as I said somewhere else that's the vines not the peeps although.....
              A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

              Comment


              • #8
                Aren't you supposed to bury a dead fish (or cat) under them? Or did I dream that?
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

                www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                  Aren't you supposed to bury a dead fish (or cat) under them? Or did I dream that?
                  I think that you have very disturbing dreams, Flum!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                    Aren't you supposed to bury a dead fish (or cat) under them? Or did I dream that?
                    Some italian grapes might have horses heads buried under them...
                    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

                    BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

                    Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.


                    What would Vedder do?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
                      I think that you have very disturbing dreams, Flum!
                      Too much cheese at bed time?
                      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

                      www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by scarey55 View Post
                        Well, the Terroir around my grape vines is pretty grim and they are growing well (if you don't count this year's mildew/blight)

                        They are in the open ground up against a South East? stone wall so they don't get that much water. I don't bother with them much at all and anyway, being as how I am about the least green fingered person in the whole wide universe, they have to take their chances.

                        I have heard on many occasions that grapes thrive on neglect, as I said somewhere else that's the vines not the peeps although.....
                        Thanks for that. Although I am going to growing them in London in a greenhouse so it slightly different.

                        Comment

                        Latest Topics

                        Collapse

                        Recent Blog Posts

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X