F1 Strawberry

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 Strawberry

What are the characteristics (if any) of F1 strawberry as I'm starting to see the sale of hybrid strawberry seeds (Sarian, Florian, Marathon). Do they produce runners that can be further propagated? Just curious.
    Food for Free

Good question. Can't wait to read the answer! Where are you seeing the seed for sale please as I fancy growing some strawbs from seed?
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

The usual T&M and Suttons are selling them (Sarian & Florian) but I can't remember I where I found Marathon F1. More F1 from Nicky's Seeds, they're Loran and Elan!

I presume they're bred to be packed with more Vitamin C for example, runners are mentioned, Florian has lovely pink flower and probably F1 are likely to be perpetual, otherwise why make hybrid .

I'll only get to grow Sarian next year as I have the seeds. Just wondering how new these F1 strawberries are.
      Food for Free

Comment

Hi
        I've grown them, Sarian I think it was, they do fruit a little in the first year, just seem like normal plants. I've got all my different strawberry plants muddled up now so don't know for sure if they throw runners, but I'm sure I'd remember if I'd seen runnerless plants.
        Sue
        NB when you sow the seed be patient, they are tiny and stay like that for ages till it starts to warm up, you think they've not grown at all for months and then they start to "heart up".

Comment

Originally posted by Sue View Post
          Hi
          I've grown them, Sarian I think it was, they do fruit a little in the first year, just seem like normal plants. I've got all my different strawberry plants muddled up now so don't know for sure if they throw runners, but I'm sure I'd remember if I'd seen runnerless plants.
          Sue
          NB when you sow the seed be patient, they are tiny and stay like that for ages till it starts to warm up, you think they've not grown at all for months and then they start to "heart up".
          Thanks Sue, so it's quite possible that F1 strawberry can be propagated from runners...sure saves me having to buy the seeds again .

I shall try to be very patient when I sow them now and in January. Thanks for the warning though.
          Food for Free

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X