Loganberry

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loganberry

OH bought me a lovey Loganberry from our local farmers market last spring.
    Planted it on plot it was about 2 1/2 ft when i plantedit, it must now be 15ft and growing nicely arount shed balacony railings.
    Thing is it didn't produce a single flower - let alone berry! Can anyone tell me should i have done anything to help it?, Are there sexes when it comes to fruit bushes? Never grown fruit before so totally in dark!.

They flower next year on wood produced this, like Blackberries. So you need to remove all the old canes (the darker woody stuff) and tie in the new ready to flower next year. Have you by any chance accidently removed the new growth in the past?

Comment

Tie in this yeaar's growth by bendng it down if you can. This encourages it to fruit.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Loganberries, blackberries and some raspberries fruit on stems (canes) that grew the previous year. New vigorous stems should be tied to some sort of support During the year they are growing. In the late autumn, cut out the canes that have fruited and tie the new canes as near to horizontal as you can get without snapping them.

Comment

I purchased a bare rooted Loganberry last spring which never grew bigger than two foot. It did have about twenty scrumptious Loganberries on it though!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Palustris View Post
            They flower next year on wood produced this, like Blackberries. So you need to remove all the old canes (the darker woody stuff) and tie in the new ready to flower next year. Have you by any chance accidently removed the new growth in the past?
            Thanks for reply,
            Haven't removed anything yet! Planted has it came in pot and pretty much left it alone since.

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
              Loganberries, blackberries and some raspberries fruit on stems (canes) that grew the previous year. New vigorous stems should be tied to some sort of support During the year they are growing. In the late autumn, cut out the canes that have fruited and tie the new canes as near to horizontal as you can get without snapping them.
              Thanks will do this, as i had no fruit does this mean i don't have to cut any branches, i have one really long branch then 1/2 dozen shorter ones?...

Comment

Trim it to fit the space available. Once established they are pretty hard to kill!
                The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

Without seeing the plant it is hard to advise. If the long stem is the original one, then you can safely cut it back to where ever you want. Leave the shorter ones alone in any case.

Comment

Thankyou all

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X