No announcement yet.

Blackcurrant cuttings.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought a reduced raspberry Groovy (ghastly name) two weeks ago. It'll stay in its pot till there is a space for it. Anyway, pruned it back and having just read this thread I stuck the prunings in a shady spot. No idea if they'll take, but if they do they are free .
    Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

I normally just cut off some last season's growth, sink them in some soil and they normally take by the following spring.

Some blackcurrants planted next to my compost heap even layered themselves in the heap last year, and a japanese wineberry layered itself in the cracks of my patio 2 years ago after I left it in the pot too long.

Comment

Originally posted by Gman View Post
        I’ll be interested to see how many take. But my money is on more than 28/30..
        As promised to Gman, an update on the cuttings. All 30 are alive, well and putting on leaf. Surprisingly, to me, some of them are also putting on flowers! I'll post separately about that.

Comment

What a great idea. I’m going to try that with literally everything now. Maybe not the lawn!

Kind Regards..........Rob

Comment

I took on my allotment in December and with agreement with my plot neighbor put soft fruit in along the boundary. With the currants I just threw the cuttings into the ground like spears and they are all sprouting.
            They also sprout in the compost heap too if you let them.
            Gooseberries air layer themselves if the fruit pulls the branches down too.
            Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X