No announcement yet.

Fruit Trees - Questions

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the advice folks, will certainly keep the trees and review next year. Not sure about moving them, will need to get a few blokes in!!
    Cheers

Danny

Comment

Originally posted by broadway View Post
      Thanks for all the advice folks, will certainly keep the trees and review next year. Not sure about moving them, will need to get a few blokes in!!
      Yes I can see that moving them is going to be a bit of a job, obviously its only going to get more difficult as the trees get bigger though. A compromise I suppose would be to start by taking a couple of the smaller trees out of the group.

The problem with them being too close together is that you can never grow good fruit if the tree doesn't get enough light and air because its too crowded by its neighbours.
      Last edited by nickdub; 17-07-2019, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
        Yes I can see that moving them is going to be a bit of a job, obviously its only going to get more difficult as the trees get bigger though. A compromise I suppose would be to start by taking a couple of the smaller trees out of the group.

The problem with them being too close together is that you can never grow good fruit if the tree doesn't get enough light and air because its too crowded by its neighbours.
        Good point Nick I'll take a look at that.

Knowing nothing about trees when would be the best time to move them?
        Cheers

Danny

Comment

Originally posted by broadway View Post
          Good point Nick I'll take a look at that.

Knowing nothing about trees when would be the best time to move them?
          Moving is best done when the leaves are off and the ground is not too cold - mostly in the UK that means some time from late October through to early Spring. Obviously dig the hole to receive the tree first and make sure you tamp the ground down hard afterwards round the roots - if its a largish tree then a stake at 45 degrees tied in fairly high up to stop too much wobbling around is a good thing for the first year.

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
            Moving is best done when the leaves are off and the ground is not too cold - mostly in the UK that means some time from late October through to early Spring. Obviously dig the hole to receive the tree first and make sure you tamp the ground down hard afterwards round the roots - if its a largish tree then a stake at 45 degrees tied in fairly high up to stop too much wobbling around is a good thing for the first year.
            Cheers Nick
            Cheers

Danny

Comment

You mention there is no fruit.
              Because of the frosts this year I've got no fruit on my 5apple trees, 4 plum trees, 3 pear trees nor my massive cherry tree.
              Maybe your trees got zapped by the frost too?

Nice looking plot by the way
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X