No announcement yet.

Why doesn't my fig - give a fig?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dizzy yes it was - I was interested that we get diametrically opposite results - my Brown Turkey in a pot in a cold greenhouse produces really sweet maincrop figs, while the breba crop refuses to come back to life after the winter.

Comment

That is interesting that your results are so different.

My pot grown brown turkey was never kept in a greenhouse but on a south facing patio by the house wall, pretty sheltered.

My dislike of the maincrop figs was not based on greenhouse ripening, so maybe I was overly harsh on them.

The tips I gave above work for me in growing figs for the breba or maincrop except if focusing on maincrop do not pick them off and pinch growing tips off after 5 -6 leaves ( Mid may), whereas if focusing on breba I remove maincrop and pinch tips in feb.

No brebas do speed up ripening of maincrop plus your greenhouse conditions probably help.

I grow figs in a polytunnel for the maincrop but they still give breba figs so would have expected the same from a brown turkey.

Do you leave figs on over winter or do you pick them off? Any overwintered figs over the size of a pea will come to nothing the next year and can prevent brebas at the tips popping through.

I would love to see a picture of the leaves and fruit of your fig tree. Maybe you have a different variant to the one I had. Maybe we could swap cuttings if you want to try a new variety?

Comment

There's a couple of photos on the previous page of this thread.

Embarrassing admission: I have 2 potted figs, obviously different, and I know that one is Brown Turkey and one isn't, but I have forgotten which is which. and what he other one is. Having said that they both behave the same - good maincrop, no breba. And yes I now remove all figlets I can see at the start of winter, having given up hope of a breba crop.

Will take more photos in the hope someone can identify the brown turkey.

Comment

Ah, seen the pictures now. I don't know how I missed it. the one in the picture looks similar to the ones on my Brown turkey fig but i cannot be sure.
          Also I have read through the thread more thoroughly and can see you know a lot about fig growing.

I have found I lose breba figs if I let the pot dry out over winter and early spring. They might start growing but then they drop. Could this be the cause for you?

Comment

So here are the two branches again, one pinched out and one not, with the pinched one so well in the lead that I have now pinched out the other one.

The other fig (third picture) is growing really short extension growth, and setting fast-growing fruit without needing pinching. I suspect this is because it is in too small a pot and wants repotting.

Will try to keep pots more consistently this winter to see if that saves the breba crop. I saw a 100 year old White Marseille yesterday, growing outside against a wall on Dartmoor, laden with fully grown but unripe fruit which the owner said was the breba crop. So it can be done.
            Attached Files

Comment

My figs are in the tunnel with the total of ONE fig just on one plant - I have done just about everything I could to make them fruit - one is about 4 yrs and the other 2 I watched a utube video on pruning - did the necessary - and still nothing - fed them last week with special potash - guess I am just impatient but would love some figs !!!

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                Hi Dizzy. Don't know why it was moderated but its approved now!!
                You'd be surprised what people say about Essex!
                Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Having checked mine today I have a number of small embryonic figs forming. I did pinch the tips off a couple of a couple of the shoots - I heard that you don't have to pinch all and a couple of them pinched off can start the figs forming over the bush.

Let's see if they grow up and mature in time.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                  ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                  ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Have just seen some very tiny figs on my brown turkey - not sure if I did the right thing but a few days ago took them out of the tunnel - I know it will be too late this year but it was very heartening!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X