I cut my trees in half

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting thread, mainly as differing views from experienced members

For what its worth my removing the buds downwards , removed top 1/3 so far seems to be working (or was just luck) with the lower buds forming down, the lowest being just above the graft now. So will soon take them down to 50% and then when they are leafing well will chop the truck to 50%

Comment

I have always just planted whatever turned up and left it to get growing. Pruning would take place the following year when I could see what had grown or died on me. Then prune accordingly after it had at least managed to half estabilsh iteself.

It is afterall the leaves that produce the food for the tree so removing half the leaf producing material seems counter to getting eatablished.

Comment

Points taken Kirk, however over half the roots are gone on bareroots so cutting back top growth may prevent them being overloaded to start with.
        With mine leafed to the bottom have cut it down the 1/3 where had removed the buds previously, time will tell

Comment

Just a quick update, the Pluot and Apple trees are showing signs of life! (Happiness)
          Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X