Fruit Trees for fruit this year

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brack View Post
    Gardenfocused also have good information on varieties, flowering dates, pollination etc. Good stuff on lots of fruit.

https://www.gardenfocused.co.uk/frui...pples/grow.php
    Great website, thanks Brack. Between this one and Orangepippin I should fine something suitable by next winter, for bare root.
    Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

My little square foot orchard in the Jungle is made up of fruit trees from Ladle, Alldee and Bandm for less than £5 a tree (they were the tail end of stock). These were bare roots though I think I planted them at either the end of March or beginning of April in 2016. The rootstock is unknown but highly unlikely that they're dwarfing - my cultivation and pruning regime will keep them manageable.

I made the mistake of allowing one of the apple trees to bear a SMALL amount of fruit the first year rather than form structure and it resulted in the stem twisting and cracking.

Last year I had to cut it right back to regrow and I'll not be letting it fruit this year and possibly not next year so the stem has time to bulk up and strengthen.

I had some nice apples and cherries last year, this year both pears are also in flower at the same time and I have a little peach tree added which is in a pot and is in flower (I was thinking of growing this to festoon).

At the back of the New Territories I planted out a few more exotic fruit trees last year - these were supplied in pots and cost more - Medlar, Quince, Saskatoon, Goji, Dwarf Mulberry. They're all getting their leaves and the Saskatoon is covered in blossom.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
      ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
      ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X