No announcement yet.

growing a lemon tree from a pip

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

presumably best to take it away from the others then?

Comment

If they are in the same container I'd move them out of it asap - if not, then just being nearby won't make much difference.

Comment

No, they are in seperate yoghurt pots.

Comment

Originally posted by bikermike View Post
          No, they are in seperate yoghurt pots.
          Don’t give up on them yet Bikermike.
          Two of mine also went brown and looked like a little dead twig. As you can see from the photos, they rejuvenated and put out nice new glossy leaves. Took about 6 weeks though!!
          Click image for larger version

Name:	6FA44FBD-A537-44A9-B315-ED634AC7BBE9.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	2383565

Name:	1BF5D499-58F7-4D77-BA70-6D1F07023846.jpg
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	2383566

Comment

Odd - three out of the four haven't put any leaves up. The pips have split open and the bits visible in the soil are a nice healthy green colour, but no leaves coming up. the fourth is putting up a very slow shoot

As they look green and healthy (ie not shrivelled or mouldy), I'm going to leave them to it, but crivvens they are slow...

Comment

Update please

Hi @bikermike,

I am very curious to hear how your citrus seedlings are doing?

Also @farendwoman how are your 2 citrus plants doing?

Thanks!
              Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Bilberry Hills View Post
                Hi @bikermike,

I am very curious to hear how your citrus seedlings are doing?

Also @farendwoman how are your 2 citrus plants doing?

Thanks!
                Robert
                Still alive and doing well.
                Will post a photo tomorrow
                - really pleased with them, especially considering they were such a good price.

Comment

Originally posted by farendwoman View Post
                  Still alive and doing well.
                  Will post a photo tomorrow
                  - really pleased with them, especially considering they were such a good price.
                  Here they are - have had three calamondins (or lemons maybe!) from the first one .
                  The second one is yet to produce flowers or fruit. Only bought in May this year though, so not expecting anything till next year.
                  The third one is a seed from a kaffir lime.
                  Thought it had died last autumn when the leaves dropped off leaving me with a brown twig.
                  Didn’t throw it out , and it has now produced fresh new healthy growth.
                  I regret chucking out several other dead looking kaffir limes that would probably also have recovered if I’d hung on to them.
                  Shall sow a few more seeds in the Spring.

Name:	BC7220B6-B9D3-41B6-A0C1-0FC053F1A44D.jpg
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	2385532

Name:	E9703F71-5A26-4437-9567-AD79831024E0.jpg
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	2385533

Name:	0C2874E9-BC7D-4070-987F-34172F98F807.jpg
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	2385534

Comment

mine died...

I've got some more seeds to give it another go. Might wait until the days get longer.

Comment

Are those all grown from seed? If so, how did you get fruit so quickly?

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post
                        Are those all grown from seed? If so, how did you get fruit so quickly?
                        Nope only the last one was from seed ( the Kaffir lime).
                        The other two were cheap plants from L**l and only cost £2.99 each.
                        Or even £1.99 - can’t remember.
                        First one was May 2018 and second one was May 2019.
                        They were sold as calamondin, but lots on here have said they are lemons.
                        I shall buy another next time they are in the shop.
                        And will also sow some more pips in the spring.
                        Really pleased with them considering how much they can cost by mail order.

Comment

Originally posted by bikermike View Post
                          mine died...

I've got some more seeds to give it another go. Might wait until the days get longer.
                          Definitely worth a try .
                          Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by farendwoman View Post
                            Nope only the last one was from seed ( the Kaffir lime).
                            The other two were cheap plants from L**l and only cost £2.99 each.
                            Or even £1.99 - can’t remember.
                            First one was May 2018 and second one was May 2019.
                            They were sold as calamondin, but lots on here have said they are lemons.
                            I shall buy another next time they are in the shop.
                            And will also sow some more pips in the spring.
                            Really pleased with them considering how much they can cost by mail order.
                            Yeah, my satsuma I bought back in August was pretty costly.
                            Although admittedly, satsuma plants are quite hard to get hold of in this country, and the fruit hardly produce any seeds, so even growing from seed isn't an option. It does have four fruit ripening on it, too.
                            I have a lemon (at least, I think it was a lemon) I grew from seed. It's about 14 years old now, and quite large. No signs of flowers to date.

Comment

How are people overwintering their citrus? I bought one of the Lidl Calamondin in May too. Tbh, I never did much with it. I planted it up in erecatious soil in a terracotta pot and left it for the summer, but didn’t feed it.

I don’t feel it’s really grown over the summer, but looks healthy enough. I’ve brought it inside and is sat in my gardening room, with a single south facing window near it giving it as much sun as I can.

I’ve put a tub of water next to it on the hope of increasing humidity, and have finally bought some winter feed last week, so it’s had a feed.

Is there anything else I should be doing?

Comment

Originally posted by FromYorkshiretoBucks View Post
                                How are people overwintering their citrus? I bought one of the Lidl Calamondin in May too. Tbh, I never did much with it. I planted it up in erecatious soil in a terracotta pot and left it for the summer, but didn’t feed it.

I don’t feel it’s really grown over the summer, but looks healthy enough. I’ve brought it inside and is sat in my gardening room, with a single south facing window near it giving it as much sun as I can.

I’ve put a tub of water next to it on the hope of increasing humidity, and have finally bought some winter feed last week, so it’s had a feed.

Is there anything else I should be doing?
                                Keeping it around 15 c is apparently ideal for winter, but anywhere down to 5 c is fine, it will just go dormant over winter.
                                The most important thing is light. Citrus need lots of light.

I left my (lemon, I think) outside on the patio most of last winter, only bringing it in on the coldest of nights. It didn't like it, so I won't be doing the same again this year. It's still outside now, but I'll be bringing it into my conservatory very soon.
                                My new satsuma and yuzu are hardier, but I'll still be bringing them in for now, as they are quite small and thus more vulnerable still.
                                I also have a trifoliate orange, which is apparently very hardy. It was left outdoors all of last winter, so I'm sure it'll be fine this winter, too.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X