Forgot to prune grapvine!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forgot to prune grapvine!

I bought a grapevine last year to plant in my new garden. As i havent prepared the garden yet i kept it in a pot to plant out this spring. Once the leaves dropped in autumn i put the grape in the shed to protect from any harsh weather over the winter while it was still an option. However, i completely forgot about it till this weekend when i went in my shed!

The ‘Vanessa’ vine still has the 3 skinny legs of growth from last year and lots of buds. I was planning on cutting off 2 legs and trimming back to 3 buds. I understand if i do this now it could bleed as the sap is rising? Just wondering what my best course of action is? I can think of 3 options (open to others).

1. Prune asap and risk it.
    2. Leave it till summer then prune.
    3. Let it grow all year then hard prune back next winter.

Thanks

Ben
    Last edited by Ben1030; 26-02-2019, 10:13 AM.

If it was mine I'd leave it alone for now and prune it next time its dormant.

Comment

Can i prune the last 2 years of growth off next winter or this years?
      Last edited by Ben1030; 25-02-2019, 09:39 AM.

Comment

You can cut it where you like - the main thing with pruning is what shape you are intending to end up with in a few years time - having a "permanent rod" system is a popular option for vines - plenty of info out there if you google it.

Comment

Do you always have to leave visable buds when cut back or will it always recover as long as ur above the rootstock?

Comment

Take a look at this guys videos, he is in Oz ( and no longer with us so he wont reply to any comments)
            but same principle applies.
            he goes through all the stages.

https://www.youtube.com/user/carobnjak1957/videos

Comment

Try cutting now,it’s not spring yet,try one cut & see what happens it’ll probably be fine. Better to prune than not to prune with grapevines,they really appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben1030 View Post
                Do you always have to leave visable buds when cut back or will it always recover as long as ur above the rootstock?
                I wouldn't want ever to prune any nearer than two buds above a graft line - vines will only grow from buds, and if you leave only one pair and something goes wrong, then you've lost it.

Comment

I would prune now...I've a huge grapevine and wouldnt hesitate to cut in February even though I usually do mine in the christmas hols I have occasionally pruned in Feb.

Comment

If i did prune now and dipped the cuts in hot candle wax would that take away any risk of bleed?

Comment

Mine is in the greenhouse and some buds are beginning to break, so I wouldn't chance pruning mine now. I'd leave it until it's in full leaf and prune off any new growth that you know you don't want and train it to the shape you want.
                      Although they bleed in Spring when the sap is rising/buds are breaking - they don't once they are in full leaf.
                      You can do more pruning next winter, if you need to.

Comment

It would bleed straight after cutting if it’s going to,it drips like a tap continuously,I don’t know if candle wax would drip off with the water or eventually seal it,I just left it when it happened to me,nothing bad happened I’d remember but I don’t know if I’d cut it now because what Thelma said & it’s not my vine. They get a bit of dieback after the pruning cut,leave about an inch or a little bit more in front of the bud to allow for it or the bud would be in the dieback area.

Comment

Hi Jane,

Contrary to popular belief, grapevines are as tough as old boots. Cut it back to three buds, select the strongest shoot and cut back the other two after the risk of frost. Even if a vine is bleeding it will not do the plant any permanent harm. A bleeding vine can be an advantage if there is a heavy Beast from the East because the pressure in the rod is relieved. When you are ready plant it in position. Try to disturb the roots as little as possible to prevent growth being checked. I have sixty vines and will probably be pruning within the next two weeks.

David

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X