No announcement yet.

Growing Rhubarb

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ta Rat, I will make the first flaggon in the morning.

Comment

Hi Guys

Can anybody tell me when rhubarb is ready to pick as i thought it was always red. I have 3 2 year crowns that i haven't picked yet, some are thin and fairly red and others are thick but green. when is the best time?

thanks

Comment

Wish I could send some down to you all At the moment I am having to pick the really big thick stems and throwing them over the wall into the field (hope my neighbour doesn;t read this!).

I have about eight crowns growing like mad and some I dug up and put at the back of the compost heap area also growing like mad. There are also other shoots coming up all over the place.

We have had our fill of rhubarb crumble at the moment (been harvesting rhubarb for four weeks), so am trying fools and creams. Got one jar of schnapps on the go, but as the only alcoholic drinker in the house, thought that might be enough!

Exodus - some of my stalks are green and these are the ones that seem to grow into huge thick stalks which I don't bother with. But as you can see I do have rather alot so can be quite choosy. I try to pick the lovely bright red or pink ones underneath. They are far tastier and sweeter.
        ~
        Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
        ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Jennie, you could start a mail order business.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X