Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your favorite Summer raspberry variety ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boundtothesoil View Post
    I've grown many different summer fruiting varieties, rather stupidly, on the same plot for 25 years. My favourite on grounds of flavour, yield and appearance/conformation remains Malling Jewel by a long way, despite its increasing susceptibility to root rot. However, because my raspberry beds are very disease rich, few canes of any of the common (Glen/Malling) summer varieties last more than three years.
    boundtothesoil, if you have clay and get root rot (not vertillium wilt) then gypsum appears to help in trials

Comment

As per previous threads, I have a 'mystery' raspberry which I got from a friend who got it from his dad who probably bought plants in the 1960s or 70s for his garden in NE London.

It is more useful for its summer fruit than its autumn fruit. The former is extremely early and starts at a time when little is available. The latter starts ripening only in August so there's almost a month with no raspberries.

By November, i.e. now, the fruit ripening on the plant is in a sorry state due to the weather. Anyway one has better fruit to eat, like fresh apples and pears. But under protection it would probably give fresh fruit until December.

Neither Autumn Bliss nor Joan J, planted nearby, perform as well.

Comment

Have planted Glenn Fyne & Glen Ample and find that I probably do have enough room for some Autumn fruiting types so will prepare the ground, Joan J seems to be favorite at time of writing, maybe get 10 plants in and hopefully a few around September. The Glenn Fyne & Glenn Ample will not fruit until July(ish) in 2020 which is along time for someone my age

Comment

Am still getting rasps from my sugana plants. Can’t believe that in December.

Comment

Dug up all my raspberries this year. They must be 10+ years old so was time to replace them. Planted 10 new canes. 3 Glen Prosen, 3 Glen Ample and a Black Jewell. Plus 3 autumn fruiting Polka so I still get some this year.
            Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X