This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FOR NEW PEEPS onion and shallots roots

this how some peeps start their sets of early in the season,just push them into compost filled modules,they will pop up,but as you see,still make a good root system before the ground outside is suitable,
    See the difference between the onions and shallots,the latter needing more room,you can also put them in a seed tray,side by side,then when ready to plant out,just tip it up and shake the compost off,
    I also include a pic,using a trowel to make a large slit in the ground,plus todays planting,all you do then is a little water,just to settle the soil around the roots,
    the last thing to note is,the bulb will go a little soft to start with,then as the season warms up,you watch them grow,keep weeded and water when weather is dry,but not every night
    Attached Files
    sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Looking good-I planted mine as per the instructions a couple of weeks ago and nothing showing as yet! Think I'll give this a go👍

Comment

Thanks Lottie

Kind Regards.............Rob

Comment

great thread lottie , thx for starting it , looks like im running late with my onions and shallots ,ill have to get myself down wilko and get my sets , when did you 1st plant your sets in the trays ? if i get some onion and shalot sets tomorrow could i plant them straight outside ?
        Last edited by the big lebowski; 06-02-2019, 03:57 PM.
        The Dude abides.

Comment

I got a bag of wilcos in cell trays,put in 5 days ago,they have roots forming already,the green tops will start once the roots have established,2 sheds was the one who gave us this idea several years ago,only put them close together in a tray,all works the same,mine are only in cells,to make it easier for me when i plant out in a few more weeks,pop out and plant,where as side by side,you need to shake the roots out the compost,i am lazy,mine are inside ONLY because A i can keep a better eye on them,and B nowhere to put em outside under cover just YET,i would not put them in the cold ground yet,hence starting them of as above for an early start,good luck,
          Last edited by lottie dolly; 08-02-2019, 01:23 PM.
          sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

hi thx for the reply , i went to wilkos yesterday and got 1 bag of white and 1 bag of red onions and a bag of yellow shallots , then i went up the plot and planted them all , do you think i have made a mistake ?
            The Dude abides.

Comment

I personaly would not have put then direct into the ground just yet,all you can do is wait and see,were we are it's to wet,by the way,i am far from being an expert,just passing on what i picked up from here over the years,and a bit of what i learned for myself,we all do things with different variations

Comment

Originally posted by the big lebowski View Post
                hi thx for the reply , i went to wilkos yesterday and got 1 bag of white and 1 bag of red onions and a bag of yellow shallots , then i went up the plot and planted them all , do you think i have made a mistake ?
                If we have a short, mild Spring then you will be ahead of us!
                Personally I am cautious, but you just never know!
                You can always buy more if you think they start rotting.
                I have found that most plants whichself seed or grow outdoors early in the season tend to be much more hardy and disease resistant compared to those which are brought on indoors...
                Be interested in a comparison!
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

ok thx for your thoughts ,i think ill leave them in the ground then , the soil was damp but there was no standing water or anything like that ,we had some rain yesterday but the weather looks good for the next week , ill keep you posted on how they are doing ,cheers
                  The Dude abides.

Comment

I planted my onion sets out yesterday. The weather is quite warm and they are a bit underground so shouldn't come to any harm even if there is a hard frost. I plant out onions and garlic in the autumn most years and they always do ok. If we get a long cold spell I would just expect them to be a bit slow to get going.

Comment

The thing about onions is that they are naturally biennial. Left to their own devices, they will:
                      - grow from seed into a bulb in the first year;
                      - sit dormant through a winter;
                      - send up a flower spike in the second year.
                      It's the winter dormancy that triggers them to send up the flower spike.

Onion sets are created by putting the plants into a sort of suspended animation. The seed is grown into a small bulb then the plant is dried off before it gets too big and before the cold weather comes. When the set is planted again the next spring, it wakes up and carries on from where it left off. It hasn't been through a winter so it behaves as if it's still in its first year and forms a nice bulb.

If you plant onion sets too early in the year, the cycle can be broken. A prolonged cold spell will make the plant realise it's actually going through a winter, so when the weather warms up it will usually bolt.

This is why you are better off sitting on your hands and delaying planting of sets until April. You will still have a head start on spring-sown seeds and there's much less risk of losing the crop through bolting.

Good luck to the early planters on here, the way the weather is this year you may well get away with it!
                      My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                      Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

hi , i went up the plot today , the onions and shallots have started growing ,it was pretty nice out , fingers crossed
                        Last edited by the big lebowski; 18-02-2019, 02:18 PM.
                        The Dude abides.

Comment

I Placed sets into modules as per the original post and they look like they are doing very well. Would I be best moving them to the bed and with cloches over them? or is it too early. Like everything it seems different things are working for different people.

Comment

Wow look at those roots. I didn't think to do onion sets in trays but now I'll give it a go.
                            https://beingbears.wordpress.com

Comment

the roots are not on account of trays,my post was to show what does go on under the ground,the trays are just an early start for twitchy fingers,also not every set will grow,so when you do plant out,you only plant healthy ones.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X