Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today I did urmmmm nothing much of anything excpet move a couple of seedlings out of the propogator, onto the shelving.

Yesterday my 3 yr old and I sowed several trays of [whispers very quietly] flowers for the hanging baskets, pots and tubs, as well as 6 pots of winter squash.

I'm going squash-centric this year with Yellow Scallops (blaming GYO for them ), Cobnut, Butternut Hunter, mixed Winter Squash and Big Max pumpkins .

What else did I do yesterday? Oh yes, planted a row of red onion sets and a row of white. Also sowed 3 rows of leeks - just to see how they'll do compared to the indoor sown ones and sowed mixed spring onions between the rows, then covered them with netting to keep the birdies at bay.

Reet
    x

Comment

• Finally potted up my chitted seeds (was attacked by a nasty tummy bug yesterday and couldn't do it then as planned) - Potimarron squash, Courgette All Green Bush (free seeds from GYO last year I think?), Courgette Astia and the Chard Bright Lights, which were seed at least six years old. Put MPC into my rootrainers ready for the peas, which are tomorrow's job. I also did a bit of gardening at home - I neglect this badly as the plot gets all the attention! The garden at home is full of boring (to me, anyway!) stuff, mostly what I term 'municipal roundabout' plants, quite urban and uninspired, so I'm slowly taking over with things like lavendar and foxgloves, and lots of herbs.

Also went into school and helped reception class plant some spuds.

Originally posted by ginger ninger View Post
      Today I sowed my sweet pea's and tomatillo's and planted out some broad bean plants.
      Ah, was glad I spotted that GN - I was very kindly given some seeds by a kind Grape (thanks Poly ), but didn't know when to sow them... Another job for tomorrow then.
      Life is brief and very fragile, do that which makes you happy.

Comment

• Today I planted my onion sets on the allotment. At home I sowed some beetroot, various salad leaves, coriander, chives and basil.

Comment

• The ground in my raised beds has finally completely thawed out so when I got home from work I planted out a heap of garlic (softneck, hardneck and elephant) that I had been given and that have been in the fridge for a wee while.
          At work this morning I had the job of fetching in the horses from their various paddocks for the farrier - the older breeding mares were no problem but the youngsters (6, 5 and 4 years old were a bit of a handful), especially when being led past a working cement mixer - they got a bit freaked out and jumpy. Having said that it was a most enjoyable morning - I always used to like horses when I was a kid but haven't really been involved with them for years.
          Last edited by sewer rat; 17-03-2010, 09:18 PM.
          Rat

British by birth
          Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
          http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

• It's a gorgeous day here. Started pottering at 8 a.m. Counted all the things that I think won't return after the evil winter. Cried a lot. I reckon that just the things I can't, because of the time factor, replace from seed or cutting, including my tree fern, the Arundo donax and the Gunnera manicata, will set me back about £400 if I bother replacing them all. Started on growing the things I can replace, like my climbing hop seed came out of the fridge and into the seed tray. My Green wizard Rudbeckia is showing shoots. First time I've ever managed to germinate any Rudbeckia so I am chuffed. I planted about 60 red onions on, having done some white and some shallots yesterday. Examined the fruit bushes. Gooseberries and currants are in bud. That cheered me up. Got a couple of hanging baskets going for this year with nasturtium, nemophila and french marigold seed. Only 15 more to do. I then came in for a cuppa and decided not to do too much today in case there was nothing left for tomorrow.

So I came on the computer.
            Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
            >
            >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

• Today was do as much as possible day,so...
              Raked over 4 beds, sorted out the compost, put a sage bush,chives and garlic chives in the ground out of containers, emptied and cleaned 4 water butts and re-piped them.
              Checked broad beans,growing well.
              Sowed
              Tomatoes - San Marzano Lungo, San Marzano Versuvio, 2 unknown plum types, 1 unknown upright one, Cuor Di Bue, Amish Paste, Tigerella
              Celeriac
              Artichoke
              Peppers- Ciliegia Piccante, Atris sweet pepper, Standard green italian pepper
              Chillies- Jalapeno, Cayenne, Prairie Fire, Lemon Drop, Facing Heaven
              Thought about making a note about all this for next year

Comment

• Originally posted by taff View Post
                Thought about making a note about all this for next year
                You just did. which I think was the point of this thread to start with.
                Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
                >
                >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

• 17c HERE AT MIDDAY !

So do I go up lottie ? or go back to work ?

Dug two more beds .....!
                  You have to loose sight of the shore sometimes to cross new oceans

I would be a perfectionist, but I dont have the time

Comment

• We (my 2 year old daughter and I) made two bumble bee nests in the lavender hedge, sowed chamomile, calendula (outside), sweet peppers, basil and watercress (inside).

Found my first chilli (cayenne) seedling had popped up today - I only sowed them three days ago! Hadn't even got around to covering them over and putting them in the airing cupboard so was very pleased with that.
                    Singleton Allotments Society
                    Ashford Gardeners - A gardening club (and so much more) for the greenfingered of Ashford and surrounding areas. Non-Ashfordites welcome .

Comment

• Originally posted by sarraceniac View Post
                      You just did. which I think was the point of this thread to start with.
                      You're forgetting that I didn't have the sense the search for what I've posted on here, but it's a bloody good idea,and I'll go and do it now!!!

Comment

• Now we've dug out the pampas grass I've made a start on my temporary veg beds, then once the ponds been filled in I can make the beds larger.
                        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Dug the FE pots bed at the lottie ready for the weekend.

Finished turfing the back garden with the stuff I'd lifted from where the shed went and seeded the remaining bare bit with new lawn seed.

Checked on my PSB and Turnips at the lottie and was well chuffed to see them coming up!

Also my Champagne Rhubarb is pushing some growth up so all in all a good day even if it did chuck it down whilst I was at the lottie.

Comment

• Thinned tomato and cayenne seedlings to one per 3.5 inch pot. Potted on aubergines.
                            Pollinated peach.
                            Sowed mangetout peas, PSB, Florence fennel, Perpetual spinach, scallions, oriental mustard, leeks, and broad beans. Moved seed packs along in file system so as to succession sow more effectively this year.
                            Placed garlic and shallots into cell trays to start rooting.
                            Decided not to bother with spuds this year because every farmer round here is flogging local spuds for a pittance at the farm gate. Bit worried actually as blight is sure to be about with this many potato farmers about. I need my tomatoes!

Comment

• At the walled garden I am reclaiming from the wild and restoring to it's former glory, I finally finished hand digging and weeding the second long border .
                              Might not sound much but the two borders are each 40m long and 4m wide, and had 23 years worth of weed growth in them - principally nettles, ground elder, brambles and willow herb, with the occassional 30ft high sycamore just to make it interesting !
                              Rat

British by birth
                              Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                              http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

• I sat on my bench at the lottie, cup of tea in hand, appreciating the sun on my face, after what seems a very, very long time - the day had been booked off work to catch up on cleaning, washing and ironing, but hey, it may rain tomorrow, or next week or the week after that!
                                'May your cattle never wander and your crops never fail'

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X