Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shovelled more manure into the tanks, and onto two beds.
    Sowed tomatoes, peppers and spring onions,all the free ones from GYO,so we'll see how they're doing next week.

Comment

• Went to work, caught up on what everyone else hasn't done. Collected two grandsons for overnight stay. Fun bathtime (they're allowed to play in the bath at mine as long as they don't flood the place again). Now sound asleep, so I have a little me time. All in all not a bad day. Looking forward to some warmth and sunshine though.

Comment

• kazza72, what a shame! Trousers and I live on a working farm. Obviously, if you've been watching Kate Humble (who's been filming close by) on the programme 'Lambing Live', that's what it's like HERE at the moment! Some pretty little cuties are being born, which is a joy, but there are also the fatalities to get one's head round too.

Anyway, Down on The Funny Farm today, Trousers built me the most spesh new Salad Bar, with Legs, obviously, because Wellie doesn't like sharing the salad with slugs'n'snails!, and whilst I was poly-lining the base, I had a brilliant idea........
        But you'll have to wait until the normal Sunday Evening blog update to see photos, as it was way too dark this evening by the time I finished 'faffing about with it', whilst Trousers was already watching the ball game on tv?!
        Thank you for listening.X.

Comment

• Yesterday:

Bought some more second hand water cooler bottles from local company to use as cloches. Then took my All Year Round Caulis and Rhubarb up to lottie and planted them in the ground. I still have about 5 caulis left from the batch I started last year so will probably chuck them in containers as a fall back in case the ones at the lottie have any problems.

Mulched the rhubard and asparagus bed (asparagus to be planted) with some freebie compost that had been brought to the lottie from someone's home compost heap. Covered the planted caulis with some of the water bottles purchased earlier on in the day.

Today:

Uploaded two more pics of lottie onto profile.

Comment

• Originally posted by nerdgas View Post
            Yesterday:

Bought some more second hand water cooler bottles from local company to use as cloches. Then took my All Year Round Caulis and Rhubarb up to lottie and planted them in the ground. I still have about 5 caulis left from the batch I started last year so will probably chuck them in containers as a fall back in case the ones at the lottie have any problems.

Mulched the rhubard and asparagus bed (asparagus to be planted) with some freebie compost that had been brought to the lottie from someone's home compost heap. Covered the planted caulis with some of the water bottles purchased earlier on in the day.

Today:

Uploaded two more pics of lottie onto profile.
            Nerdgas where did you get your used water bottles i am in frenchay and want to get some?

P.S Do you go under the name nerdgas on the Rovers Forum?
            http://greengas-ourallotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by greengas View Post
              Nerdgas where did you get your used water bottles i am in frenchay and want to get some?

P.S Do you go under the name nerdgas on the Rovers Forum?
              Hiya,

I get them from a company called Cotswold Spring near Chipping Sodbury (link below):

Cotswold spring water, south west bottled water, bottled water supplier

They're just off the Bath/Stroud junction on the M4. They let me have them for 50p a pop which when you consider the stupid prices that G/C's sell bell cloches for it's a no brainer to pick these up and saw the bottoms off. If you call them they should be happy for you to take some off their hands - remember to get ones that do not have handles moulded into the design.

And yes I am nerdgas on the two rovers forums (don't use the official one anymore and just lurk mainly on the Alt forum).
              Last edited by nerdgas; 14-03-2010, 10:11 AM. Reason: speeelang..... :-p

Comment

• Today dug over two of my raised beds and now have blisters to prove it!! Planted two rows of International Kidney and two rows of Pentland Javelin. Kept remainder of spuds to go in spud bags. Planted into second raised bed onion sturon, garlic and onion long red florence. Due to cat problems in the neighborhood have made a frame using build a balls and canes and then covered with netting.
                Have sown a tray of asters, hollyhocks, cornflowers and lupins. Then in a propagator have sown nemesia and nicotiana. In pots in gh I have sown 4 varieties of sunflowers including Russian Giant.
                AKA Angie

Comment

• Finally time to breathe, so promptly went into the greenhouse and sowed lots and lots of "stuff". Also put my rooster and desiree sets in trays to chit abit.

Comment

• Sowed Red Rubine Brussels and also some PSB in small pots at home in cold frame in case ones sown at lottie don't germinate.

Also potted on the remaining AYR caulis as a fallback in case ones at lottie have any problems.

Tidied garden a bit more in preparation for laying Ecobase for new greenhouse (to be ordered).

Comment

• Went to the lottie and had a lovely day in the sunshine. Moved lots of soil from one side on the lottie beds to the other as we are on a slope and wanted to level the beds. Dug them over and raked level.
                      Planted first early spuds (Arran Pilot).Weeded two onion and shallot beds, planted more shallots. Sown double row of early peas put a plastic tunnel over them for a bit of protection. Also sown more broad bean again under the plastic tunnel as we are at the bottom of a slope which is a bit of a frost pocket.
                      Mr Herbie built a raised bed/box to grow pumpkins or squash in (need another three) and edged off the front raised bed where the next batch of spuds will go, pleased about this as this has made the bed a bit wider.
                      Started to move excess soil from fruit cage onto new spud bed and planted another raspberry cane and black currant bush.
                      Sat and planned the wood work jobs for our next visit: Need to build another three box beds, edge some more raised beds, extend the fruit cage and finish the new compost bins.Had a great day!
                      http://herbie-veggiepatch.blogspot.com

Updated 23rd February 2009

Comment

• Potted on some courgettes, and brought them back into the house. I also put some brocolli (calabrese) into pots to get started. Left them in the unheated greenhouse, with peas I had sown in guttering, and pots of beetroot, turnips and carrots that I sowed yesterday. Put them all under some fleece so not too cold.

Comment

• Did a bit of digging this morning, not a lot more to do now. Planted out some spring cabbage that have been sat in pots all winter doing nothing. May be they will start growing now. Planted out some broad beans and sowed another couple of rows of charlotte potatoes. Will have to get the hoe out tomorrow to hoe the onion beds as the soil is starting to crack badly. Pottered about in the greenhouse potting on and sowing more seeds.

Ian

Comment

• Yesterday I planted 10 rocket seed potatoes, I know its a bit early but I thought 'why not', they are well chitted so stand a fair chance. I got rid of 10 bags of rubbish from the lottie at the local tip and sowed 24 sweetcorn.

Saturday I sowed various squash and tom seeds and put in heated prop.
                            Bex

Comment

• The first really good day of the year
                              - planted Osprey spuds (just to see)
                              - planted another row of supermarket garlic
                              - planted a row of Violetta broadies
                              - sowed 2 rows of self-saved pea seeds (chitted)
                              - transplanted a dozen self-sown Rusty lettuces
                              - removed cardboard mulch from fence area & planted with nice flowers (self-sown)
                              - weeded the flowering speedwell, groundsel, chickweed and dead nettle (blasted weeds)
                              - extended my bottle edging by another 10 feet
                              - saw a Peacock butterfly
                              Last edited by Two_Sheds; 16-03-2010, 05:10 PM.
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

• Dug another bed at the lottie.

Ummm that's it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X