Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weeded, planted out 4 cape gooseberry plants, 4 courgette seedlings, 4 tomato seedlings, lots of watering, spraying courgettes with 9:1 water and milk to kill off powdery mildew, seems to be doing ok. Harvested an 'orrible bitter tasting cauli, its now in the compost and lots of kale, swiss chard and parsley for spagetti.

moira

Comment

Yesterday I had an unexpected (person giving me a lift wanted to go via) visit to the garden centre. Got my onion sets, shallots, 3 packs of 10 early and 2nd early potatoes. These now in egg boxes in the bright but cold spare room.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Yesterday I dug up some dahlia tubers (they look perfectly healthy despite no frost protection) to start them off indoors - in order to take cuttings to make more plants
        -----
        Picked a cupful of Tiger beans that had been missed
        -----
        Cut a Rodima red cabbage & some Osaka Red Mustard
        -----
        Pulled the ice off the water butts so the goldfish can breathe
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Recieved my 3 Autumn Raspberry canes from the GW Magazine offer, stuck them in a bucket to soak & will plant them tomorrow in my fruit bed with the one lonely Raspberry plant thats already there.
          Jane,
          keen but (slightly less) clueless
          http://janesvegpatch.blogspot.com

Comment

Not today but tomorrow (given the reasonable forecast) we are going to the plot. DD and I will pick the last of the brussels sprouts and pull a good bunch of leeks. There might be some spinach and baby turnips to bring home as well.

DH will be in charge of some digging while I have "helpfully" distracted DD. Clearing the space where the peas and beans were at the end of last season, spreading the last of the compost bin, and covering with the bits of cardboard we found around the house. I have another sheet of black plastic as well to throw over one more section.

This will probably be the last visit we'll get before the annual month-long lockout. So it needs a good tidy up, reasonable harvest (although I'll leave some leeks for when we return as they should be fine). And making sure everything is properly put away in case the council actually bother themselves to do an inspection!!

Comment

My shallots order arrived ... 400 Pikant bulbs, to go with my 200 Golden Gourmet from Poundshop. Plus I bought 15 Echalion (banana) shallots in Morrisons yesterday. I don't expect those to grow, but they have 2 choices.

Comment

Today I've moved the germinated Black Triffele tomatoes and the strawberries from the heated propagator into the unheated one on the kitchen windowsill. Put some pots of previously sown but not germinated flowers into the heated propagator, along with an avocado stone on soil. I've had the stone suspended over water for the past 6 months and nothing's happened yet the stone still looks viable (I've done it loads of times before). anyway, we'll see if a bit of warmth will just start it off, my big one's getting a bit leggy
                My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Today we picked up my bus pass - then built the hen-house! We put on the automatic pop-hole opener too - and it works. I shouldn't be surprised, but somehow I am!

Run next - then ... hens!
                  Attached Files
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

nothing exciting, just made newspaper pots, sheesh they take ages, 48 long/talls for leeks, 48 short 3 inchers for toms and chillies, only about 30000 to go
                    Vive Le Revolution!!!
                    'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
                    Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

• Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                      Plus I bought 15 Echalion (banana) shallots in Morrisons yesterday. I don't expect those to grow, but they have 2 choices.
                      They will however give you lots of seed for next year.

Today I took our ham out of the salt, washed and dried it and wrapped it in muslin before hanging it out to finish air curing.

Next our new leather reclining suite arrived and is now ensconsed in the lounge, I tested it out and promptly fell asleep in it for an hour.

Finally, a parcel of over 40 different types of heritage pea arrived from the States, varieties include "Lord Leicester", "Mayor of Leicester", "Carters Battleship" and a host of others. Some research will now be needed to see how tall they all grow.

Comment

• Planted new plum tree (v.Opal). Washed the patio down, moved bird table further down the garden. Planted red currant bush and goji. Had a bit of a tidy up in the greenhouse.

Removed dead acer

Potted on tomatoes and tomatillo's as part of the early growing experiment.

Set out and labelled seed potatoes for chitting.

Checked shallot seed and 10 - 20 have germinated, Lavender seed has also germinated.
                        http://herbie-veggiepatch.blogspot.com

Updated 23rd February 2009

Comment

• Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                          Today we picked up my bus pass - then built the hen-house! We put on the automatic pop-hole opener too - and it works. I shouldn't be surprised, but somehow I am!

Run next - then ... hens!
                          That's a lovely hen house Flum, the chooks will absolutely love it
                          My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

• I dug out loads of raspberry suckers ... I do this every year, and they always take over one corner of my plot.

Comment

• ...I ignored the inherited raspberry suckers as I haven't decided whether to grow these on or start again with new. If in doubt, do nothing.

Instead I build the first of 8 raised beds - 20' by 4'. Hurrah - I am currently feeling very smug about this feat of construction.

Comment

• Today i visited my plot at the allotment, i pulled 6 leeks to use during the week.Next i pulled back the weed suppresant covering and shovelled a bit of compost and growmore on the piece of ground i want to plant my onions shallots and garlic in, ready to dig in tommorow.which i will plant up in a couple of weeks.Realised much of the plot was water logged, not hard to notice when your foot dissapers up to your shin in mud.\also potted some more leek seeds and some peppers, chilli seeds to. then back to the t.v.
                                a good put down line to use !

If having brains was a fatal disease, you would be the only survivor.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X