Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today I are mostly spent my time travelling home from work.
    Left work at five, got home at nine.
    Should have been homw at half six.

Went the usual Piccadilly & Victoria tube lines (seven stops), got to the "national rail" to be told it was shut for the rest of the day and no service till tomorrow. Aaaggghhhhh.
    So Victoria from Tottenham to Kings Cross, to Monument by Circle, Liverpool Street tube station being shut 'cos of a fire alert, then two Central Line trains all the way to Epping, followed by two buses and several waits.

Poor bus driver at Epping, reckon he gets a couple of dozen passengers normally, he had to leave a queue behind and one man operated is just no good for that volume od passengers, twenty minutes to load.

Little old lady on the second bus, "What is happening, there's normally me and three other people on this bus?"

And all because of Wellie's JA's.
    Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
    Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
    I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

I fought the wind and got to the plot, quickly bagged a cabbage and some leeks and got home via tesco's before battening down the hatches.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
        Today I are mostly spent my time travelling home from work.
        Left work at five, got home at nine.
        Should have been homw at half six.
        You have my sympathy Peter, I used to live in London (although a bit nearer the middle) and remember very well how awful it was, even back in the 70's. I knew I had to get out when I found it impossible to fight my way onto the tube one morning and waited for another which was just as bad. I got a bike and tried that for a bit, but in the end was glad of the opportunity to scarper.
        tThings were more gentle up here in the Midlands, although they are getting bad now. I guess there's no hope really.
        All I can say is 'Keep breathing' and remember there is more to life. Hopefully your lottie will keep you sane.
        Best wishes for tomorrow.

Comment

Hey Peter !

I used to live and work in London, as as 'slightly younger thing than I am today' ! And the day that it took me three and a half hours to get from Marylebone to Wendover (Bucks) is the day I threw in the towel, and started a life in the country, never having looked back since. I was self-employed, and cocky enough not to take no for an answer, and so carved out a new self-employed life for myself out of The Big Smoke.
          I really feel for you, it's rotten when you've done a good honest days' work to have to tolerate that on top of it all, and you then have to come on a forum like this and try and be pleasant to people like me.
          Did the Borat not fit? or don't you like Lilac? !

Comment

It's not arrived Wellie.

Hope it hasn't been misdelivered, epecially as you said it had that "special" photograph of you wearing that new natural gardening outfit as suggessted by Mrs Dobby.
            Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.

Comment

Like your style Peter.... I can feel Mrs. BiggerDyke coming back off holiday to take the reins up again. Jolly good job you and I are the sane ones round here, eh!?

Comment

Originally posted by wellie View Post
                Like your style Peter.... I can feel Mrs. BiggerDyke coming back off holiday to take the reins up again. Jolly good job you and I are the sane ones round here, eh!?
                The reins, bit and bridle I can cope with.

Its the saddle and whip I object to, as for the spurs, well .

Still if you promise to wear the new johdpurs I'll consider it.

Sane, NEVER.

Comment

Mmm, Paulie knows what you mean - 'smart' a bit those spurs, don't they?!
                  (Mind you, not as much as those Borat thongs sound like they would....)
                  And the Jodhpurs don't get further than my thighs these days, so THAT can be a 'tad embarrassing' when you're out, believe me.....

You DO make me laugh Peter, bless you. Keep it up, and don't take so long to get home tomorrow ! Faffing about like that.... Get the right train in future, it's not 'Rocket Science' is it?! (Ouch, that hurt...)

Comment

As I have mentioned before the man in the next allotment gave me his greenhouse, luckily I won't have to move it.
                    Unfortunately the area behind the greenhouse is overgrown and has a rampant russian vine.
                    I spent today clearing the area and cutting back said vine and brambles and chatting up the woman whose garden backs on to it.
                    Tomorrow I can sart putting in polycarbonate windows thanks to Jools for the clips.
                    The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                    Brian Clough

Comment

The aubergines are in Wellie. Four varieties thanks to SBP.

Comment

Got half the manure shifted today, moving it closer to where I plan to use it so that when a new batch comes I have somewhere to put it.
                        Got my new compost dalek into position and filled it up with the half rotted compost I bagged up on sunday. Got orders (! he's a cheeky sod) from his lordship, all veggie stuff has to go down the lottie! We're on garden tidy up at the mo, pond is built so now we have to make it look like a garden again and not a quagmire.
                        Roughly measured out the part of the lottie I'm starting on so now I know what size beds I can put there. Its 20m x 5m, so I'm going to build raised beds 2m x 4.5m, allowing about half a metre for paths between. Going to do them one at a time, so it may take a while!
                        The onion sets I planted last week have perked up and the green sprouts are all pointing to the sky. Got some shallots to go in as soon as I have a bed ready.

Kirsty
                        Kirsty b xx

Comment

As by good fortune I had already booked today off I have had a nice day.
                          It took five minutes to walk home from the allotment site.

Took darling daughter to school, dog & I went to the bakers & got some fresh ginger danish, went home had a cuppa + a danish, then went gardening.

My two plots are a disgrace, each has a stream running through it, The primary school lies at the top of the hill, then its playing field slopes down to a wooded bank, a public footpath lies between the school fence and allotment site fence. Inside the site fence a bank drop roughly two to three foot to the top of my plots.

All the rain runoff and soak-in comes out through the top of my plots, on one it is oozing out of the bank and down through the herbs into the cultivated area, on the other it oozes out behind the shed, runs under and leaves it standing in a pool. The shed is up on bricks so is ok, but the water then trickles through the fruit terrace and on ito the cultivated area.

However I consoled myself by continuing my fencing, on the other side of the site, under the hedge next to the ditch, where it was quite dry, for a given value of dry. I had to clear 30'x2'x10" of lovely soil, the result of the previous plot tenants weed and rubbish disposal policy, "pile it against the fence" before I could do my three post target for the day.

As the dog behaved so well we went for a walk after finishing our fencing. The noise of her running was akin to someone playing the bongos with a 1" layer of custard on them, so she got bathed when we got home.

Did the weekly shop,went to an allotment society committee meeting, than back home to browse forums. Where's that whisky.......

Comment

I,v planted the asparagus crowns I impulse bought on e bay in pots because
                            not only is the space still got leeks in it and is unprepared, but I can,t get to my allotment as the access lane is a foot under water so I,m here doing this
                            Imagine all the people, living life in peace,
                            You may say I.m a dreamer, but I,m not the only one
                            John Lennon Imagine

Comment

Went to the plots in trepidation to see if all was well after the gales. Well two sheds and three greenhouses were in bits as I walked to my two plots leaving me less than confident. However the tunnel and both greenhouses are in rude health, the water barrels are still in place and the weather vane still catches the wind. With that it was a quick lift of leeks, cut a cabbage and pick some chillies and off home to watch the Leicester Tigers hopefully monster Munster in the rugby. The rijoca is open and breathing ready.
                              Last edited by pigletwillie; 20-01-2007, 04:01 PM.

Comment

And of course...washed you hair!!
                                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X