Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Didn't do much at all today, just harvested a handful of beans and 3 baby courgettes, ate them for dinner with some new potatoes I harvested a few days ago. Yummy!

Comment

• Gasped at the progress of the sweetcorn - it all grew about 8 inches since 10:30 this morning [all 3 varieties that haven't got to max size - including strawberry popcorn which i am most excited about].
      Watered.
      Fed the swans and got hissed at when we ran out of bread - obviously standing too close to the babies [although they are huge now].
      Put some more silent roar down to keep the wildlife away.
      OH trimmed the front plants, the begonia [elephants ears], and planted some bulbs for next year. Took a few old blousy plants out from the previous owners.
      Then had to dispose of some blighted toms, very sad.

At least i have the sweetcorn.

Comment

• Mostly, Today We:

Took a scrummy picnic to the lottie, with serious intentions of strimming 'big-stylie' around the place for most of the day to help tame the paths etc. for everyone. We were due to borrow the strimmer from The Happy Couple, but couldn't find the key to the garage, which meant, rather terminally, that we just couldn't.
        But on the way back to meet me at Lottie Lulu again, Trousers got rather a fright, as a big fieldmouse scampered over his legs (whilst driving) and he did an emergency stop in the hedge, and spent the next twenty minutes trying to entice said mouse from the car's open doors back into the countryside. (I had persuaded Trousers to offload some lottie weeds in old compost bags onto Happy Couple's Bonfire, and I think Mousey was in one of the bags?)
        See Wellie do her Whackey Races impression of Muttley with the Shaking Shoulders?

So, we weeded, and we weeded until we were completely pooped. And Trousers is sleeping soundly now, so I can tell you just what a fabulous job he made of it (especially, because he has the most incredibly painful 'tennis elbow' right now. Ouch!)

And we planted out 8 Courgette plants (3 yellow, 5 green).

Thank you for listening,

Comment

• Oh - I forgot that! (thank you Wellie!) I also planted out 2 courgette plants in the spot that I had earmarked for the cucumbers which keeled over.

Comment

• I have harvest some small amount of oriental mustard and some fennel for my furry friends Mr. Fluffy ( dwarf rabbit ) and Mr. Teddy ( cavy ), they love fennel !
            Has harvested 2 marketmore cucumber...yummy, manage to harvest 2 more Korean summer squash and 1 courgette. Going to repot my autumn & winter veggies to bigger pot. And more household works coming ahead, ironing... I don't like it

Momol
            Last edited by momol; 05-08-2007, 08:26 AM.
            I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

• I have been watering and mulching my squash and French beans to help them thru this hot spell .... so you just know it will rain for the rest of August.
              My water butts are now only a third full, could do with a splash.
              I have just sown some hollyhocks, myosotis and wallflowers for spring colour.
              Today I am going up to sow some green manures (limnanthes, crimson clover and alfalfa) in the few spare patches of bare ground that I have. I will also attempt to butcher some raspberry bushes...I won't eat all the fruit and I am fed up with being bullied by their scratchy nasty stems.
              Enjoy the day Grapies
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

• I've spent all morning scrubbing my potato harvest for storing. Sadly quite a few had little maggot holes, so I've had to cut out the bad bits and boil the good bits ready for freezing. I've been really disappointed with potato 'Vanessa' - hardly got any crop at all, whereas other varieties have been great.

Comment

• Watered anything that looked thirsty and burned last year's hedge choppings.

Pulled up 5 small caulis that were blown/thinking about it and noticed some lumpy, knobbly roots. Not happy.

Noticed two of the greengages were yellow instead of green. Picked them to show the mr but they mysteriously "disappeared" on the way... mmmmm
                  Last edited by heebiejeebie; 05-08-2007, 04:16 PM. Reason: forgot stuff
                  You are a child of the universe,
                  no less than the trees and the stars;
                  you have a right to be here.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

blog: http://allyheebiejeebie.blogspot.com/ and my (basic!) page: http://www.allythegardener.co.uk/

Comment

• We enjoyed a small picnic on the lottie, in between OH harvesting beans and onions while I cut back the boundary hedge and finally getting round to repairing the wind damaged greenhouse. Both looking a little like lobsters at the mo
                    Live each day as if it was your last because one day it will be

Comment

• Originally posted by Pumpkin Becki View Post
                      I've spent all morning scrubbing my potato harvest for storing.
                      Oh. Are you meant to clean them, or just brush off any loose dirt?
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

• woke up at 5.30 this morning - don't know why, just did - went down the garden tidied stuff, pulled some weeds, watered things in teh greenhouse, got the sprinkler on the outside veggies give them a good soaking cos was gonna be a hot one today

early evening weeded flower borders at the girlfriends place and at mine
                        been down the greenhouse watering everything again
                        http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

• Harvested all the useable courgettes, wondered why the pumpkin and melon also look like round courgettes - tried not to be too concerned.
                          Sprayed the toms to see if i can hault the blight [it's only mild so it's worth a try].
                          Planted some mint and basil into a separate pot as i don't want the mint to take over the world.
                          Sat out by the canal for an hour or so; reading and stuff.
                          Sweetcorn will be ready in a week or so.
                          Watered this evening.

Comment

• Planted out 100 radicchio, and 300 assorted lettuces. Dug up some Maris Peer, Nicola, Edzell Blue to check them for size- all ready size wise so will take the strimmer to the shaws this week.
                            Got a supply of 25kg potato sacks from local seed grower.
                            Told Iona she was gonna get a baby brother or sister in February
                            Rat

British by birth
                            Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                            http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                              Well, as I say, I didn't like the look of many of them. Lots of tiny maggot holes. I think they were left in the ground too long really (but I have got a broken leg! ). I thought it would be easier to keep an eye on their progress in storage if they were clean, but what do I know this was my first harvest of tatties.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pumpkin Becki View Post
                                Well, as I say, I didn't like the look of many of them. Lots of tiny maggot holes. I think they were left in the ground too long really (but I have got a broken leg! ). I thought it would be easier to keep an eye on their progress in storage if they were clean, but what do I know this was my first harvest of tatties.
                                Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                                Hi Guys - can we keep discussion and questions to another thread please. We try and keep this thread as a log rather than a discussion thread. Thanks
                                ~
                                Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                                ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X