X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bramble
    replied
    I sowed some spring onion, White Lisbon about a week ago in the cold greenhouse in modules and they are up. I put a plastic cover over them to generate some heat in the daytime and it seems to have worked.

Leave a comment:

• Potstubsdustbins
    replied
    I germinate my spring onions and leeks in the GH but they take some time to get going.

Leave a comment:

• Containergardener
    replied
    Still no germination in GH, though it has been cold. Wonder whether to start again.

Leave a comment:

• Containergardener
    replied
    I have been sowing leek, red onion kamal and Apache spring onion. I have left them in the greenhouse, perhaps a bit cold? Shall I bring them indoors to germinate?

Leave a comment:

• lolie
    replied
    I planted some red tropea seeds a couple of days ago. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing and can't even keep spring onions alive to maturity so it should be interesting.

Leave a comment:

• vixylix
    replied
    my onion seedlings are not doing well at all - slow and gradual deaths

Going to try and direct sow in the raised bed when things are a bit warmer and hope that the ignoring them approach works better. it worked eventually with the spring onions last year!!

Leave a comment:

• bramble
    replied
    The ones you sent me Lisa are doing very well, and thank you so much.
    Hope all of yours recover.

Leave a comment:

• lottie dolly
    replied
    I am so envious Lisa,well done you,the ones i started end of last year curled up and died boohoo,i got to start again,

Leave a comment:

• Lisasbolt
    replied
    My kelsae seedlings really took a battering in the PT incident, they seem to be recovering quite well, still green, not sure wether to cut the leaves off were the have been bent over and snapped even though still alive? advice please

Leave a comment:

• starloc
    replied
    just about to plant my onion seeds, doing sets and seeds this year,

I have 2 varieties of seed so far `Lilia` a red onion ( not `lillia` the spring onion ) and Giant Rocca Lemon a brown coloured one

I have no idea on what they are like...even if they are big or small etc...

They are just what the shop had, has anyone tried these varieties?

Leave a comment:

• Aberdeenplotter
    replied
    Susie,

really kind of you to say that.

Teaching is all very well with willing pupils which is what we had here. Everyone who posted contributed and I was just so pleased to help.

Now, Mine's a guiness but that's for the Gr thread

Have fun with your onions

Leave a comment:

• susieq100
    replied
    Well I started reading this thread and I am hooked! Only got to page 32 and have 'squandered' time here when I should have been doing many other things. Back to this later and I need to sort out my seeds and see what I have got. As well as the Christmas shopping I may have to buy some onion seeds. Thanks to everyone who has posted, especially AP .. lovely clear instructions and a nice friendly tone. Have you ever thought about teaching?

Leave a comment:

• Lisasbolt
    replied
    Well i am going to be inundated with onions
    I have just put my chitted seeds into their own individual cells, 52!!!! in total, only had 6 that did not germinate, i have put them bag in the kitchen roll just incase as there is 2 spare spaces in the seed cell tray.
    Surely i can get a heavty onion out of that lot.

Leave a comment:

• lottie dolly
    replied
    my kelsae just pricked out into 2.1/4in pots,
    the little uprights are the colored plastic coated paper clips remodeled,i even warmed up the compost to take the chill of,before potting on.

I understand the next step will be to a 3 inch aprox,pot when it gets lots of roots ready to pop out the bottom,in the mean time,DO NOT OVER WATER.just damp,then into a new compost mix compost mix as described,in the mean time prep the poly tunnel ground,again as per your advice

the wet look on the compost is a small drop to settle them in,
    Attached Files
    Last edited by lottie dolly; 26-11-2015, 03:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Lisasbolt
    replied
    Originally posted by bramble View Post
    Lisa, I would love the Kelsae onion seeds but like you I am excluded because I am not in the Uk.
    cant seem to find Kelsae seeds here.
    I do not mind sending you some, i opened a packet today and used half, i will send you the other half just pm your address.

They seem to be extremely rare this year, all the big suppliers do not have them in stock due to some problem with the seed.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X