X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks tattieman!

Comment

• what is the minimum depth for soil in a raised bed

if you are going to plant potatoes? I've given up trying to clear the soil of stones in my two vegetable patches - at least for this year. The soil was pretty naff too so i think the only choice left to me is raised beds. I've mixed in soil conditioner, compost, potato fertiliser & a good chunk of topsoil. I watered & then covered over with clear polythene. I've left space at the top of the beds because of watering the spuds later.

Also the same question for brassicas. I have used a similar mix just replacing the potato fertiliser with lime.

I anticipate planting out early march.

Thank you for your time

gg06

Comment

• You want to have about 8 inches of cover on your seed potatoes and then you will need to possibly earth up just to stop any tubers going green.
        Potato videos here.

Comment

• A couple of tips when growing in any sort of container.

Never let the compost dry out I give each of my dustbins a 2 gallon bucket every other day.

When the crop is maturing feed, feed and feed again, your compost will have given up all its goodness in to growing the plant, there will be nothing left to feed the crop. My personal preference is liquid tomato food, with this it is almost impossible to overdo it.

Colin.
          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

• That sounds like top advice, last year i grew my tatties in buckets and bins using dirt cheap compost, once i let it dry out it just wouldnt hold mosture for very long at all.

This year, a mixture of innes no 2, home made compost and manure, and i have been advised to feed after the first 6 weeks, the tatties can share the tomorite with the tommies!!
            <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

• I've read through most of this thread, so I apoogise if I'm asking a question that I've just missed the answer to! I've had my early spuds chitting on the windowsill for at least 5 or 6 weeks now, but I'm not sure if they look right (I'll try to post a pic if possible) - the little stubs on them are nearly black and very short, not much different from when I got them, is this OK? If so, can they be planted out in potato bags now? I don't have a GH or anything, would they need protection from frost or should I just leave them for a while yet?

Does heat help the spuds chit more? Perhaps that could be a problem, my kitchen windowsill would not be very warm
              Last edited by LittleShamrock; 28-02-2011, 12:31 PM.
              Gayle

Container gardening this year, bring on the Spring!

Comment

• Hi, got my seed potatoes from Tattieman few weeks ago, they are happily chitting in egg boxes on windowsil, did the same last year and was a little disappointed with the yield, it was my first attempt and I hadn't read this thread . Now my head is buzzing with all the information on here. My question is, what do I look for in the best seed potato, is it size, number of sprouts etc
                I am not planning on using them all as I read 2 or 3 in bag is enough, any help will be much appreciated

Comment

• Little S.

Are you sure they are not dark purple. My seed as been on the window sill for about 5 weeks, dark purple spruts about 1/4 to 1/2 long.

Dazy,

If they are 1st earlies waste not want not, put your spares into morrisons bucket. Or even the bags your compost came in.

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by LittleShamrock View Post
                    I've read through most of this thread, so I apoogise if I'm asking a question that I've just missed the answer to! I've had my early spuds chitting on the windowsill for at least 5 or 6 weeks now, but I'm not sure if they look right (I'll try to post a pic if possible) - the little stubs on them are nearly black and very short, not much different from when I got them, is this OK? If so, can they be planted out in potato bags now? I don't have a GH or anything, would they need protection from frost or should I just leave them for a while yet?

Does heat help the spuds chit more? Perhaps that could be a problem, my kitchen windowsill would not be very warm
                    They sound fine, they will be short, you don't want them long and leggy. If they're in a cool room they'll grow slower but that's fine as if they get too warm they'll just grow weak, leggy shoots. Plenty of time yet anyway. I'm not putting my earlies in until April - far too cold at the mo. If you don't have a greenhouse and the frost gets to the leaves it will set them back.

Comment

• The beauty of the dustbin if frost is forecast put the lid on.

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

• Thanks for your help I've given them a good looking at, and yes it does seem that they are a very dark purply colour, and have grown enough for me to be satisfied they are doing something at least!

I planted 3 of them in a potato bag outside....and then it snowed that night I'll leave the rest for a few weeks then!
                        Gayle

Container gardening this year, bring on the Spring!

Comment

• Hi. I am hoping someone can help me with this spud related question. A friend of mine is setting up a veg garden for the first time. She has a raised bed 1 railway sleeper high she was planning to put spuds in but the soil from ground level down (ie level with the bottom of the sleepers) is really hard - we think it is the remains of an old path. We couldnt break it up. If she plants spuds into the raised bed will the tubers just form at ground level when they cant get any further down?

Comment

• I've got some potatoes growing in some potato grow bags, the ones that you roll up as you earth up. Jst earthed up for the first time today, and have two questions.

Do I completely cover the growth that's there or leave a bit of stem/leaves poking out?

And how firmly do I put the new compost in? So far I've just gently patted it down, should it be firmer than that?

Cheers.

Comment

• I grew some tatties in these bags last year and am also doing it this year. I just totally covered the green shoots - not sure if this is the "correct" thing to do or not, but it worked for me. And I didn't firm the soil either.
                              Diagonally parked in a parallel universe!
                              www.croila.net - "Human beans"

Comment

• state of growth

Hi
                                I planted my tubers 3 to a bag at the end of march just using multi purpose compost (rocket, casablanca, maris peer, charlotte and duke of york) they have been growing at a rate on notts ever since, very leafy and bushy and about 2 foot above the top of the bags.
                                I have topped the bags up with compost twice. Anyway I went to my father in laws allotment yesterday and no one elses seemed to be growing so vigorously, in fact he was just earthing up his 6 inch stems (kirr/carr pinks i think).
                                Is it going to be a case of all leaf and no spuds or is this normal? Do I need to do anything to ensure a good crop?

Also I planted a few left over tubers at 2 weeks ago and there is no sign of life, seemingly the direct opposite of the first lot.
                                Any ideas?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X