Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funnily enough I have just started chitting my first earlies today and use exactly the same method (as per the guide on your website).

Glad to see that I did it right!

Just one other question.....

You recommend 45g of fertiliser for the grow bag with 5 seed pots. If I go for 2/3 seed pots per bag is 45g of fert still the recommended amount? Just don't want to risk over-fertilising the pots.
    Last edited by nerdgas; 06-02-2010, 11:42 PM.

Comment

• Do i start chitting potatoes now?

Hi
      This is my first year growing potatoes. I'm in warwickshire and have just bought my seed potatoes. I've got a variety of earlies and maincrop. Do i start chitting them all now or just the earlies? Also where do i store them whilst chitting? I was thinking the garage, which has windows to let in natural light.If i am not chitting them all together, can i store them in the dark under the stairs?
      I know it's a lot of questions but i want to get it right.
      Thanks for any help and advice.

Comment

• Jewel - I'ver merged your thread with the current potato thread which should answer all our potato needs

Do not leave them in the dark though - they will grow long shoots and that's not what you want.

Comment

• Originally posted by nerdgas View Post
          Funnily enough I have just started chitting my first earlies today and use exactly the same method (as per the guide on your website).

Glad to see that I did it right!

Just one other question.....

You recommend 45g of fertiliser for the grow bag with 5 seed pots. If I go for 2/3 seed pots per bag is 45g of fert still the recommended amount? Just don't want to risk over-fertilising the pots.
          Yes you will always use the same amount of fertilizer in your compost mix.
          It will allow you to grow a larger crop from fewer potatoes planted.
          Potato videos here.

Comment

• Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
            Do not leave them in the dark though - they will grow long shoots and that's not what you want.
            I think he was talking about storing rather than chitting which I always do in the dark and cold (frost free ). If you look at Tattieman's advice, he suggests the fridge ie in the dark (well it is unless your light is bust

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

• Originally posted by Alison View Post
              I think he was talking about storing rather than chitting which I always do in the dark and cold (frost free ). If you look at Tattieman's advice, he suggests the fridge ie in the dark (well it is unless your light is bust
              Alison are you sure the light goes off in the fridge when you shut the door?
              I think you will need to climb inside and see

If I had received my potatoes last year I would store them in the dark but at this time of year your probably better in a cool light place as they will be wanting to grow now anyway.
              Potato videos here.

Comment

• Tattieman, as an expert - and you have possibly been asked this question many times - but what do you do about replenishing your soil. Was talking to my OH today when we were out and about and we wondered how suppliers/commercial potato growers manage with crop rotation.
                It's like turf suppliers, they have to keep taking off the top lot of soil and turf so they must be constantly replacing their topsoil.

Comment

• Originally posted by tattieman View Post
                  Alison are you sure the light goes off in the fridge when you shut the door?
                  I think you will need to climb inside and see
                  Oh God have I got to empty out all the jams, yoghurts, cheese, milk etc etc to check it out. And I think I'll need a chair to help me get in as it's over a freezer and what happens if the light does go out and I can't work out how to go out Thanks goodness it's OK to store them in the light at this time of year!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

• Spud Help please

OK boys and girls

When i have planted my spuds and they need earthing up could i do this by placing well rotted manure on top of them,or would that be too much goodness for them at one go.

All the best,Ian

Comment

• hi ian, when your spuds need earthing up,just draw up the surrounding soil, i have just laced my spud soil with handfuls of chicken pellets before i do any planting,they will disolve in a few weeks,i give my spuds two good drenchings of seaweed fertiliser,one in june,one in july,and thats it...great crops,any rich compost for that area would be better put on soil in autumn,readying the ground for the next year,then you can more or less put in what you like..good luck.

Comment

• We're gonna try fairly deep planting for this years spuds and hopefully not worry about earthing up at all.

We think about 12" deep should do it. Dunno if it will work and/or make much difference but will hopefully save some effort later on.

Comment

• I read a big article about this once don't know if a foot deep is ok but i plant 8 inches and only lightly earth up it seems to work not many green one's....jacob
                          What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
                          Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

• Frost and potatoes

A question for all, but I suppose mainly Tattieman.
                            I am going to try to get ahead of the game by putting in a couple of first earlies in my unheated Gh in pots.
                            Do I need to be concerned about frost immediately, or only after the shoots have popped their heads through the compost?

Comment

• The latter.
                              Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocketron View Post
                                The latter.
                                I'm not so sure Rocketron? The compost in my greenhouse has frozen at times. If a well chitted and growing tattie, which hasn't made it above soil, became frozen, I reckon the plant would be killed?

You could wrap the pots in bubblewrap or temporarily insulate them in some way to combat this. I use the thin polystyrene you get to put under laminate flooring. You can then insulate by adding extra layers if a heavy frost is forecast, or even use the old tramps trick (not that I would know, of course), of insulating them with layers of dry newspaper!
                                Last edited by Snadger; 20-02-2010, 06:13 PM.
                                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X